Science Forums

Before the universe

Dave

What was around before the universe?  

1. 1. What was around before the universe?

• another world
    • Absolutely nothing
    • or a cornfield

dave, there is really no telling exactly how much "fuel" is really being put forth on the universe to convert its potential energy to kinetic energy because, as einstein's theory of relativity suggests, things in freefall seem to be "floating" in space and time. we can only guesstimate how much energy is being converted relative to the moving objects around us.

and you are absolutely correct, there was something here before the big bang. it is what everyone calls the "hyperspace". it has no time or particle interference, as predicted by many earlier scientists as a way of time travel, using wormholes and such things.

there, time does/does not exist, which ever you belive in the most, because it is a nuetral answer. time is there,a nd tme is not there. in fact, what is time exactly? we made up time. aminute is 60 seconds. what's a second? we did all of this by saying "tick, tock, tick, tock" so time is whatever YOU make of it, you always create your own time.

Originally posted by: CD27

there, time does/does not exist, which ever you belive in the most, because it is a nuetral answer. time is there,a nd tme is not there. in fact, what is time exactly? we made up time.  aminute is 60 seconds. what's a second? we did all of this by saying "tick, tock, tick, tock" so time is whatever YOU make of it, you always create your own time.

It will never work to use hours, minutes, and seconds to discuss "what is time" - simply because these are local measurements of the passing of the day as we experience it on Earth. If we lived on Mars a day would have almost 25 earth hours but if we assume any Martians would have figured out a similar 24 hours per day structure, their minutes and seconds would in fact be longer than ours. Yet they would exist within the same space-time (although gravity would be only 40% of ours).

Tormod

My point was that the word "time" has more than one meaning. We say "At what time does the meeting start", which implies a social meaning - the meeting starts at 3:00pm EST, for example. If the hour lasts for one hour, we could then pinpoint the event, the length of it, the end of it, the direction of it (time at the beginning of the meeting, time at the end of the meeting).

However, time in physics is completely different.

I don't think it is as easy as saying that time does not stop or start, that it has no direction etc. It is generally believed that time flows (I know FT thinks otherwise) in one direction - which is what we call the arrow of time (check out my previous hypography on this at http://www.hypography.com/topics/arrowoftime.cfm ).

Yet I think it is important to point out that while it is easy to come up with al ot of ideas of what time is not, nobody has yet to understand what it really is. At least I am not aware of any theory which describes what time is. I know only of theories which describe how time is a function of this or that.

Scientific American has a feature this month on time, by the way.

Tormod