Science Forums

Now Here's A Weather Maker

erich

___Interesting stuff. Build it & they will come. :doh: I note not all power plant cooling systems use towers; my local gas fired plant uses an array of low covered units dug into the ground which transfer the heat into both atmosphere & river. Some advances in making controllable vortices in fluids is in the area of laminar flow. Those jumping fountains demonstrate how laminar flow forms stable structures in fluid. :doh:

PS A germain link:

http://www.memagazine.org/backissues/july01/features/engart/engart.html

also works on exposed surface as opposed to enclosed:

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/history/pastprojects/F16XL2/

___I made one to experiment with using a hose coupling, a 1/2 gallon plastic jar, & about 200 plastic staws. I experimented with air effects too, using a cardbaord tube & straws. Here is a fun test of the effect.

(use all proper safety precautions) Light a candle & then find the farthest distance from which you can blow it out. Relight the candle & try the experiment blowing through a cardboard tube. Finally , pack the tube with sraws & repeat.

___I wonder what kind of directed sound is possible with this technique? I put the above experiment tube ove a mike but with such rudimentary equipment as my ears I didn't detect any difference. I never tried setting up in front of a speaker & listening for a difference. :doh: