Science Forums

Energy From Nuclear Fusion Just Got A Little Bit More Feasible

1 hour ago, Vmedvil2 said:

That is just a minor advancement

Changing from gas to electric transportation is not minor.  It will change the course of the future.

Almost everyone in the US having access to all the world's information in the palm of their hand is not minor.  That, and the technology it enables (like pervasive social media) have changed society almost beyond recognition.

Damn the GTX 1080 TI from 5 years ago is so much less advanced than the RTX 3090" 

Well, it's more like saying "damn a dial telephone is so much less advanced than my Samsung Android phone."  They are so different that there is almost no comparison between the two, even though they were designed for the same basic function.

4 hours ago, billvon said:

Changing from gas to electric transportation is not minor.  It will change the course of the future.

Almost everyone in the US having access to all the world's information in the palm of their hand is not minor.  That, and the technology it enables (like pervasive social media) have changed society almost beyond recognition.

Well, it's more like saying "damn a dial telephone is so much less advanced than my Samsung Android phone."  They are so different that there is almost no comparison between the two, even though they were designed for the same basic function.

Let's just agree to disagree, neither is going to convince the other, I think the pace is rather slow and you think it is rather fast whatever basically both are opinions on how we perceive time, but mainly for me I want to live to see it all happen even though I know I will miss a great deal of it probably unless the billionaires or I figure out the immortality vaccine.

Link = https://www.euronews.com/next/2021/12/14/can-we-live-forever-new-anti-ageing-vaccine-could-bring-immortality-one-step-closer

On second thought, maybe the Japanese will figure it out, I don't really care who figures it out as long as I get to be immortal and I don't believe the fake *** stuff that religion put out about a afterlife (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afterlife).

Even if the case turns out that the afterlife is real then God is one of the most evil beings that has ever existed, but if there was a all knowing being why would he put so much nonsense in the religious texts that obviously is impossible. So, basically God wants us to believe absolute nonsense to get into heaven which makes me highly doubt it wasn't just written by stupid ancient man that didn't know anything about how things worked that seems a more plausible explanation.

Edited by Vmedvil2

On 1/30/2022 at 2:51 PM, atomsmasher said:

What kind of reactor powers our nuclear submarines?

They are all light water reactors with high-enriched uranium (so they don't have to be refueled often.)  Many can be taken prompt-critical due to this, which means that careful control is VERY important.

19 hours ago, billvon said:

They are all light water reactors with high-enriched uranium (so they don't have to be refueled often.)  Many can be taken prompt-critical due to this, which means that careful control is VERY important.

Could this same technology be used to power our major cities?

1 hour ago, atomsmasher said:

Wow, that response was so stupid that I think I lost some brain cells, I am just going to leave this thread alone. Billvon I leave this in your capable hands.

But I will say this, do you know what this is Atomsmasher?

download-1.jpg

Edited by Vmedvil2

On 2/2/2022 at 7:07 PM, Vmedvil2 said:

But I will say this, do you know what this is Atomsmasher?

I asked a simple question. I know that the USA uses some reactors to produce electricity. All I did was ask if we could use the same reactor technology, we now use to power our submarines to power our major cities.

I checked and this is what I found.

At the end of 2020, there were 94 operating reactors with a combined generation capacity of about 96,555 MW. From 2014 through 2018, annual nuclear generation capacity and electricity generation increased each year even as the number of operating reactors declined.

The above reactors are not the same reactors used in our submarines. The reactors in our submarines are much smaller. All I was asking is if we could use the smaller reactors to power our major cities.

Edited by atomsmasher
spelling

atomsmasher, 

I don’t see anything wrong with your question, and you don’t need to explain or qualify your question to anybody.

The S8G reactor used on the Ohio-class submarines, is a 220 MW pressurized water reactor, PWR, which is basically the same type of reactor used by the vast majority of the world’s nuclear power plants.

The answer to your question is that this type of reactor is already in use to power many of our cities.

Because it is designed for naval use, there are a few special features, such as taking advantage of natural water circulation, to cut down on the use of coolant pumps. Also, the physical size has been minimized as much as possible. Even with all the size minimization, the reactor compartment for the Ohio submarines is 42 feet (13 m) in diameter, 55 feet (17 m) long and weighs 2,750 tons.

Although the technology is basically the same, the output of only 220 MW is not suitable for use as a commercial reactor, which generally produces about 1 Giga Watt of power. Even the smallest commercial reactor in the USA, the R. E. Ginna Nuclear Power Plant in New York, produces about 582 MW.

On 2/2/2022 at 3:57 PM, atomsmasher said:

Well, sure.

However, the reactors we use for power are light water reactors with LOW enriched uranium.  One of the nice things about LEU is that it cannot go prompt-critical no matter what happens to it.  (Prompt-critical is how nuclear bombs detonate.)  Thus, if terrorists steal the fuel, it cannot be used to make a nuclear bomb.  Perhaps more importantly, if it is used in a reactor and someone makes a huge mistake, the reactor cannot explode like a nuclear bomb.

As a case in point, the reactor in Chernobyl could (under certain unusual circumstances) go prompt critical - and the #4 reactor did in fact go prompt critical in 1986 during a routine test.

So I don't think it's a good idea.

2 hours ago, OceanBreeze said:

Although the technology is basically the same, the output of only 220 MW is not suitable for use as a commercial reactor, which generally produces about 1 Giga Watt of power. Even the smallest commercial reactor in the USA, the R. E. Ginna Nuclear Power Plant in New York, produces about 582 MW.

Great post. I just wanted to know if we in the usa were using this power source in our cities, 

The concluded answer is yes

Thanks

Edited by atomsmasher
clarity

• 4 weeks later...

The statement excites the community with the ready to become available fusion energy around the globe. The statement also lists the blog, which highlights the different points and how this will be a better alternative to fossils and non-renewable energy, which is quite expensive and is not meeting the public demand. 
The discussion on fusion energy and its availability to the public has been in trials for some time now. One of the community participants highlights that they have been working on this for a while, which dates to the timeline of Nazi wartime. They have tried various things, from the magma in the mountains to hydrogen gas in the nano apparatus, but nothing worked. In the discussion, there were certain links to different YouTube videos that encase the work and progress on the fusion energy and highlight specific points that are still in trials. Further, these links explain how this fusion energy will be a limitless energy source for us and how it will help in the era f technology.