Science Forums

The First Atom?

Dinesh_college

According to the standard model there was no "first" atom. Atoms do not multiply like cells. They were formed after the Big Bang. The first to form were hydrogen - since they only require a proton and an electron. 3 minutes after the Big Bang protons formed, which are essentially hydrogen nuclei, then after 300,000 years the universe was cool enough for the nuclei to combine with electrons to produce hydrogen atoms.

More on hydrogen here:

http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761552913/Hydrogen.html

• 3 weeks later...
Guest FinalFantasy

The Big Bang is of yet a theory in development. It may one day provide definite answers in describing the condition of the universe, but it offers no insight to the question of how the very first piece of matter/ energy came into existence from a infinite/finite vacuum. That is, as regarded by many physicists, the Holy Grail of Science.

-Alex

P.S.: Final Fantasy 8 rocks the house!!!!

[email protected]

I would basically agree with Tormod. A quantity (1 followed by lots of 0's) of atoms

likely came into existance at nearly the same early instant after the Big Bang exploded

and expanded. This allowed cooling and assimilation to occur. Earlier and the universe

was to hot to form atoms. Earlier still and quark couldn't stay linked and no Hadrons

could form. This was all before the CBR that is now seen as Microwaves. The universe

was still opaque then. Go look up in Wiki Encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Search for "Big Bang" or Pre-Black Body and "Atom formation".

Good Luck!

maddog

Wait, my bad. The Holy Grail of physics right now is developing the anti-gravity device. Goodbye worries about energy, we got anti-gravity baby!!

Welcome to Hypography. Please stay on topic. And *all* theories are by definition in development - but that is a discussion for our philosophy of science forum.

Guest FinalFantasy
Welcome to Hypography. Please stay on topic. And *all* theories are by definition in development - but that is a discussion for our philosophy of science forum.

Lol, the conformist speaks. Take it easy guys, don't let people control your expressions. I'm Audi 5000 forever. And just for your information, I know what a theory is. Regardless of that, the Big Bang theory doesn't offer insight on primary matter/energy creation. And also, the development of anti-gravity would be the most important development in all of human history. Your boundaries SICKEN me.

Lol, the conformist speaks. Take it easy guys, don't let people control your expressions. I'm Audi 5000 forever. And just for your information, I know what a theory is. Regardless of that, the Big Bang theory doesn't offer insight on primary matter/energy creation. And also, the development of anti-gravity would be the most important development in all of human history. Your boundaries SICKEN me.

Tormod was saying, as moderator, that you probably should stick to discussing the topic brought up, and not anti-gravity. If you wish to discuss anti-gravity, thats fine, but put it in physics, or better yet, strange claims forum.

-Will

To be honest nohow, or anyhow....: ) This is just only a artificial enviroment, and one element was find called atom, in later scientifical researches. Ease to understand if you think, this is a never ending story to find smaller and smaller elements.... But actually a really good game, and soon you can say again if we want to, this is unchangeable existing behaviour of something, like small microstructures behaviour, whaere atom is one element.... 0 0 0 0 : )..............

Csongor