Science Forums

Dividing the earth by physical properties?

kingwinner

I am learning earth science and part of my notes say:

The earth, by physical properties, is divided into 3 key regions:

-lithosphere

-asthenosphere

-core

Is the above correct way of division according to physical properties?

I don't understand why the earth is divided into lithosphere, asthenosphere, and core.

And where does the mesosphere go? (lithosphere + asthenosphere + core isn't the "whole" earth

___All such divisions simply provide a convenience for describing substantially different conditions, e.g. molten vs. solid rock. There does not really exist a firm boundry as best we know, it is a matter of degree & boundry morphology. (Speculative Hint: the boundry is fractal)

___If this question is for a course, refer to the text & prof so you get it "right" on the test. Sometimes you don't have to believe this stuff, you just have to learn it. :shrug:

Yes, it is for a course!

But some other references that I found on the internet says the earth's interior (by physical properties) is divided into 5 regions (lithosphere, asthenosphere, mesosphere, outer core, and inner core) and some says 2 regions (lithosphere, asthenosphere)!

However, the one in my notes says 3 regions (lithosphere, asthenosphere, core), I feel quite strange, and also the mesosphere is missing...

___It is common to find disagreement in geology & at least you have read outside your basic class material. As I say, at least learn what the text you have to use says for making your grade.

___This question is unsettled & the variety of difering opinions reflects this. The information we have on layering deep in the Earth is primarily from seismic studies which infer structure based on reflected/refracted seismic waves of single events collected at multiple widespread stations. New technology is revealing new details, e.g. the use of GPS instruments have revealed a new phenomenon called "silent" or "slow" quakes. Science is always amendable. :shrug:

Yes, it is for a course!

But some other references that I found on the internet says the earth's interior (by physical properties) is divided into 5 regions (lithosphere, asthenosphere, mesosphere, outer core, and inner core) and some says 2 regions (lithosphere, asthenosphere)!

However, the one in my notes says 3 regions (lithosphere, asthenosphere, core), I feel quite strange, and also the mesosphere is missing...

Welcome to Hypography kingwinner. The Mesoshpere is the third highhest layer in the earth's atmosphere. The Lithosphere includes the crust and the upper regions of the mantle. The Asthenosphere is the ductile part just below the Lithosphere and then ofcourse there is the core. So you see, the Mesosphere has nothing to do with the structual earth, it is part of the atmosphere above the surface of the earth.

___Here is an article related to the "divisions" of Earth geology:

http://www.livescience.com/forcesofnature/ap_050906_sisters_bulge.html

___A growing bulge pushed up by magma in Oregon, may or may not create an erruption. New instruments (it was first discovered by satellite) continue to monitor & study the phenomenon. Real time seismograms so you can monitor Sisters yourself:

http://www.pnsn.org/WEBICORDER/BB/WIFE_SHZ_CC.2005091000.html

http://www.pnsn.org/WEBICORDER/VOLC/HUO_SHZ_UO.2005091000.html