Science Forums

Chemistry Homework Help?

Hi guys. This is my first post, and I just had a question about muons. I need to find out how we know they exist. I read that we don't know why, but i need to know how. There was one site that talked about being able to see its "tracks" through using something called a spark box, but the information it gave was extremely limited. I tried a few other websites too but came up short. I'm going into physics next year, but our teacher is starting an introduction to quantum physics so that we are well prepared next year. Anyway, if one of you guys could help me out, that'd be great. You all seem to be well versed on this sort of thing. Fascinating forum by the way.

-Matt Pankratz

Tucson, AZ

Ok, I know nothing about this side of physics. But I can see practicalities to what I do. Thinking slightly further outside the box, I can see a vague musical connection... The term frequency once again springs to mind.

However I would like to make an assumption and ask your opinion on it.

Is this a bit like casting a giant X-Ray over the tomb or what?

"If you find more muons than you expect, the difference is an indication that in that particular direction you have less matter,"

This quote alone seems to suggest that it would work on a similar kind of graphical base to an X-Ray. Is this anything like remotly on the mark? or have I missed the boat completly?

i might be able to give some help.

muons are fromed from pions mostly.

when 2 protons collide w/ each other, some pions might form, and pions decay into muons and..(forgot, sry)

spark chamber is a method of detecting particles, there are 2 opposite charged plate, when meons ionized some other particles, spark are formed (....forgot how it really works, sry again), thus, by following the spark path and put it in computer, people can track the muons.

sometimes, people use muons as electrons and put it in and atomes. they found that it acts very similar to electrons (it is negatived charged). but after a certain time, it decays into some other stable particles. (forgot what it is again, im very sry about that....T_T (gota read more)).

but unlike electrons, it can occupy a energy level that are full w/ electrons. and muons fill in the inner most orbitals first like electrons.

well, thats all i know, hope it helps (i guess it doesnt have anything to do w/ "chemistry", lol, it is particle physics.....anyway....)