Science Forums

Challenging University Decision

Khoxy

There is a certain university in Malawi with a rule which says an undergraduate student who fails a repeat course (s) shall be automatically withdrawn from the university. However the rule is non-compliance to the rules and regulations imposed on students with repeat course because no rules says about the number of course one has to pass in order to proceed to the next level. It is also a rule that a first year student who achieves a cGPA of 2.00 shall qualify for the progression to the second year regardless of any failed course (s). So as a first year repeating student, can I challenging the university decision at the court of law using the contradiction of their rules and regulations as evidence?

You will learn that universities and entities like that can do whatever they want, there is nothing you can do about it. It is like sueing the government the government can just deny your claim to sue them. It is their university that you are at it is does not matter what you think about it, you cannot change the rules, rules are just there to be followed by the student body, if you don't like it then choose another university without that policy. The only thing you can do is not attend that university as hurting their pocket book would do more than ever going to court about the issue. It is not illegal to remove someone from college because of failing a class multiple times there is no federal or state laws government on conduct of a college on that subject it is under their jurisdiction, so taking them to court would just get you lawyer's fees when the judge just laughs at you saying the exact same thing that I just said, then again I don't know the laws of South Africa if the rules under law are different then maybe.

Edited by VictorMedvil

You can take it up with the student union. It will probably come down to a simple binary weighting: Are you paying them money, or are you on a scholarship wasting their money?

If you've failed a class twice now: you're probably not good at it and should switch to something you're good at and learn the subject in your own time a different way. I linked you to kahn academy in another of your threads, go there and do it till you can get perfect marks. Then you can pay for the paper and ignore the teacher's useless prattle. ;)

Thanks Victor. I want to correct you by saying I can't change the rules because I am not trying to change the rules, but my understanding of the university rules I feel like the rule is not applicable to my case based on the weaknesses I have observed. As I said that the conditions imposed on students with repeat course (s) does not show any relationship with the reason to withdraw a student who has managed to pass some repeat courses despite failing another course (s).