Science Forums

Ground state black hole

infamous

For those of you that unfarmiliar with the term "ground state blace hole", I'll need to bring you up to speed on the subject. John A Wheeler has written considerable on the subject and after I got aquainted with his writings concerning these issues I began to study the implications for it's significance.

First I'll need to define exactly what "ground state black hole" means. Imagine a very large compact object such as a neutron star. Theory tells us, if we systemmatically add neutrons to this star one at a time, we'll eventually reach a point where it will collapse to form a black hole. There is speculation by some that in the interim a quark star will form but it's existence would be only short lived. In any case, the final state will be that of a black hole.

Wheeler, in his book Gravitation Theory and Gravitational Collapse proposses an equation: Mo^2 = (hbar*c)^3/((G^3)*(mn^4))

Where Mo = the mass of the ground state black hole

Where hbar = Plank's constant divided by 2pi

Where c = speed of light in a vacuum

Where G = the gravitational constant

Where mn = the mass of the neutron

The value for M then equals approx: 3.6763 E+33 grams/cubic centimeter

Using a formula that I discovered after calculating the values introduced in thread (A new look at dimensions) I have come up with the following formula:

(ro)^3 = 2pi *(G)^9/(me*hbar^2))

Where ro = the scharzchild radius

Where G = The gravitational constant

Where me = the mass of the electron

The value for ro then equals approx: 5.45899742 E+5 centimeters

Using the formula ro = 2G*Mo/c^2 everyone should be familiar with this formula

We get the value for Mo as: 3.67631669 E +33 grams/cubic centimeter

This value is in very close agreement with Wheeler's findings so I must conclude that this formula is of significance.

Using a formula that I discovered after calculating the values introduced in thread (A new look at dimensions) I have come up with the following formula:

(ro)^3 = 2pi *(G)^9/(me*hbar^2))

Where ro = the scharzchild radius

Where G = The gravitational constant

Where me = the mass of the electron

Your units are way off. G is in distance^3/(mass*time^2). hbar is distance^2*mass/time. So your formula comes out distance^3 = distance^23/(mass^11*time^16), which clearly isn't an equality.

-Will

No, his formula's units work out fine. It's your formula that has mismatched units, as I said.

-Will

Yes I see this now, thanks for putting up with this until I was able to see the point. I'll take this into account from now on when I'm calculating with these values. Thanks for your interest............infamous

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Could it be possible that the universe is one 'gigantic black hole'? The Bible concurs that the universe was created with a big bang but the root translation of the Hebrew words states that the big bang was a 'collapse' of something.
There appear to be some similarities between our universe and the concept of a black hole. However, most cosmologists disagree that it can be strictly interpretated as the same state for both. I'm no authority myself so like most all I possess is an opinion. The fact remains that there is very little we really know about black holes and also prescious little we have determined about the big bang. When all the facts are in, we may find that there is little or no difference between the two, my own view is that when we learn more about black holes we will also learn much about the big bang itself.