Science Forums

Rats, "sensies" in 2020 means no uhdtv in 2025

i'll be on the holodeck if you need me

and i was so hyped about uhdtv coming to market in 2025

will commercials for cigarettes make you gag? will cooking shows with chopped onions make you cry? "classical beauty" challenged actresses be forced to wear pheromones to be more appealing?

eeek.. will you need to wear kevlar and a lexan helmet to watch old westerns?

what about catching a titanic re-run... snorkle?? or scuba gear??

i've tried to imagine several ways to achieve that walking sensation.. i thought a giant hamster ball would do the trick. it would need to be big enough you didn't notice its curvature. or.. you could have a bed of nails than undulate, if they were mig enough they could simulate stairs, but the electromagnetic feild idea covers that, if you wear a suit tailored to respond with great precision and force to specific fields you could quite accuralty replicate virtual environments.

i should think any VR though requries immense faith in the machinery and its operators.. i certainly wouldn't want to try circulafloor without several dozen tiles that could move very fast, else falling off even if its from a standing postion only a few inches off of the floor would be very traumatic once you've immersed yourself totally in the virtual experience.