Science Forums

Relativity And Simple Algebra

ralfcis

Be sure and forward your answer those posing the "twin paradox" thought experiment; to Hafele and Keating (and all those who repeated their experiment) who got different empirical results; and to the physicists who developed the GPS, now, hear?  They need to know, too.

Their theoretical and empirical findings deny that it's possible.  Not that any fool wouldn't know that a priori, but, still.......

Edited by Moronium

The wiki article on Dingle says this:

As Whitrow explained in his obituary for Dingle, this is not correct, as it rests on Dingle's mistaken assumption that the conflicting ratios of event times used by Dingle are invariants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Dingle

But anyone who has read it knows that Whitrow just ducked the question by circular reasoning which merely asserts a premise, and then, based on that premise, concludes that it is true.

Edited by Moronium

As I said:

But in 1992 a physics professor from Harvard, Hasok Chang, wrote a book which made an exhaustive study of all the papers published in that debate.  He concluded that nobody ever answered Dingle's questions.

Have you read Chang's book?  What's YOUR answer, Amp?  Can you even answer the question without sending someone to an irrelevant link?

Edited by Moronium

But anyone who has read it knows that Whitrow just ducked the question by circular reasoning which merely asserts a premise, and then, based on that premise, concludes that it is true.

Whitrow:

Dingle's requirement is therefore equivalent to adopting the Newtonian concept of universal time, and this is incompatible with special relativity.

Let's break this down:

1.  "Dingle's requirement is therefore equivalent to adopting the Newtonian concept of universal time."  Yes, it absolutely is equivalent to that, just like any viable preferred frame theory.

2 .  "...this is incompatiblewith special relativity."  Yes it is absolutely incompatible with special relativity.  So?

How does that answer the question?

All these authors are trying to argue that Dingle didn't understand SR.  They're right, he didn't. Then they pretend that he was trying to use it to establish his position.  Wrong.  He wasn't writing to apologize for SR, he rejected it, and was criticizing it.  They never begin to answer his basic question.   They just assert that SR has to be true.

http://www.scienceforums.com/topic/34895-personal-topic/page-53?do=findComment&comment=370289  (post 885, top of the page)

Edited by Moronium

The wiki article on Dingle says this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Dingle

Wrong!

That is exactly what Dingle did not realize -- the bit about invariance!

Do try to cogitate for once. 

Read my post 324, fool.

Dingle never argued that SR claimed that they were invariant (which it does not).

He was arguing against SR, not for it.  He treated time as absolute, not relative like SR.

Just answer the question.

How is it physically possible for each of two clocks to run slower than the other?

Edited by Moronium

Perspective time.

Is that supposed to be an answer to my question, Ralf?  I asked how it was physically (or logically) possible.

I didn't ask if it was possible for some ignorant fool to be mistaken about his own state of motion.  Things like that are not only "possible," but they probably happen millions of times every day.  No question there.

Edited by Moronium

Perspective time. Ok I'm against it too. I'm for proper time causing permanent age difference but relativity believes perspective time causes it with the Rindler metric and spacetime path rules. I don't know enough about GR to say that's how it works but if you want an answer, that's it. Go study it. I gave up because I don't buy relativity's explanation of time  so I don't care anymore what comes after that.

Edited by ralfcis

I'm for causal time causing permanent age difference but relativity believes perspective time causes it... I gave up because I don't buy relativity's explanation of time  so I don't care anymore what comes after that.

So what prevalent theory DOES explain the view you favor?

Stupid of me to ask, because you've already seen it about 50 times and still have no clue.

Edited by Moronium