Science Forums

What exists beyond the known universe?

Tim_Lou

ok, lets restore this topic...

as we know, the universe is infinite,
but do ppl mean that the universe is infinite in all dimension?
if not, that means there is something beyond,
there is something bigger that includes the univers...
and what is it?

also, what happens if you could exceed the speed of expansion of the univers?
what will you see beyond it?

vacuum? space? do they even exist?
......??

do you think that universe is all there is?
back in history, ppl thought there is only ground, heaven and hell...
later, they realize there is an earth...
later to space....
do you think we can go beyond that?
it seems to be that there is a great possibility in finding something beyond later in the future....

(tormod, thx for telling me, i finally know that there is something called"private message"!! lol!! oh, i got 4 unread messages) http://www.physicsforums.com

outside our universe; time, space and other dimensions are absolute. time and space are relative in the universe

the universe created time, space, matter etc according to the Big Bang Theory.

so anything outside the universe, is eternal, omniscient, omnipresent.- the primary attributes of god according to most religions.

am i right?

i'm not giving the link this time, Tormod, OK?

as long as one thinks within himself and considers what he thinks as the best then you continue to think like..beyond, above ,below, etc these are relative things , universe is absolute , it is endless and motionless, if you think theres and end, then theres something beyond and then comes the end of the beyond, like i always say this goes on as long as we think like we think now, may be theres no end, mat be this is an illusion , so never interpret universe with our aquired knowlegde. god or no god he need not be beyond or within. he might not be the creator but the universe himself, the physics of this universe the properties of the universe , our thoughts, we, and our neighbourhood all belong to this universe that is! , illusion can be infinite as long as you go, and you fail to see the end..if u can ever , the properties of space cannot be applied to this universe ,we take space, so does the universe take space???....hmm..it is the space, so we see and understand the universe depending on our knowledge of this world and books, but not based on the knowledge of this universe, think differently may be you we will think better..regards

i know what you saying. the way we see, is not the way it is. we get used to time and space since we are born.

what i mean is, is the space the ultimate thing? everything came from the space? or is it a part of something beyond?

in the past, people only see the sky and think that the earth is square and the sky is rounded. how about now? space is the ultimate thing we can see and know, but is it really the ultimate??

well the measure of "ultimate" is never in terms of distance or geometry , properties of space and time are applicable to delta(x) parts of this space time, we cannot generalize the physics of ST(space -time), things or stuff are never like comming or going out of space , space is not void, its vaccume in some sence but not exactly, its made of high frequency vaccume fluctuations(casmir effect), there are particles that go in and out of existence, we still havent understood what is existence but its definetly not out and in of this universe(Mtheory talks about multiple universe, but lets us group multiple universe and the space between them and what do u call it?? bigger universe??..im not against any theory bytheway!!), only multiple dimentions to certain extent can explain this in-out phenomena..yeah only to some extent but not whole. we need to rethink , we need to understand the space around us within us, we occupy space not by displacing space but by being a part of it, space is around us and within,( no amount of hearts ,kidneys , livers.lungs etc make a human, theres someother thing else that is making the human!!) we need to think about it?? theres a lot that we do not know and understand, so figuring out th universe with the known ones is a good start not a conclusion is it? well so seeing is believeing doesnt apply to this universe..if it does then a dead man is as alive as a live man..,

yes space is the ultimate . space is everything it has everything in it and it isnt into something , but we should try to understand a space less world, a dimentionless world a non-geometrical world, a new universe ..but it still exists into this universe, dont ask me how?? i fail to explain here may be i will someday but not now

sorry if this post is too lengthy or not very clear, sorry about my english,

• 1 month later...

we'll never know whats beyond the universe really will we? i mean it's really interesting but if God does exist, he wouldn't have wanted us to go beyond the universe because, after all, that is our home. we get used to time, space, matter, etc. because thats whats meant to happen. how could we live wothout time? without space? without matter? im confusing myself! lol!

if God is true, can science still be true as well?

• 2 months later...

Originally posted by: oblivion

Beyond the universe = infinite.

Nothing or diety = infinite.

Beyond everying = infinite.

Final warning, oblivion. Elaborate and explain. Your behaviour is a complete waste of time for us. We are here the discuss and learn. We want newbies in our forums, but nOObs will find that this is the wrong place.

Tormod

Originally posted by: Truth

Keep it simple. Beyond the universe nothing exist. the universe is governed by mathematics.If you cant count it it doesn't exist.

Okay. Our universe = 1. The universe next door = 2.

Mathematics does not prove anything. Mathematics is a tool which explains a lot of the properties of the universe. However, I would like to see you prove that "the universe is governed by mathematics". That is quite a statement!

Tormod

Originally posted by: oblivion

According to all religions - The God = Infinite.

Not all religions have one god. Some even manage without gods (like Buddhism). Some have lots of gods (like Hinduism).

In Christianity, the universe is a temporary place which will be replaced by Heaven after judgment day. It is young, and will not last much longer (in fundamentalist terms, not my own).

Anyway, the title of this thread is "what is beyond all the known stuffs in the universe?" - I don't think the answer is "God" or "Infinite". These are words which can be defined to contain just about anything we want.

I think Tim is asking - can we know if there is anything outside of our universe? That is something we have discussed many times before. I have recommended the book "Impossibility - the science of limits and the limits of science" by John Barrow, which is a good treatise on human understanding and what we can possibly know. It is cosmology, so it is full of both mathematics and philosophy.

Tormod

with questions like 'What is beyond everything?' You need to take into account that we really dont know yet what everything is. Some examples: -70% of the stuff this universe is made of, we have no clue what it is. -We use mathematics as our language to discribe the world , and it does a good job, however we have no guarantee that is the right language. - We have no idea what space-time is. -etc. So my answer to your question: Beyond everything we know is A LOT that we dont know yet. In other words: There is no need to look over the mountains when we dont know where the mountains are. I guess that you can define relegion/god as the answer to your question. But that is no answer, it is a restatement of the question. -Bo

Originally posted by: Bo

with questions like 'What is beyond everything?'

Isn't this question a paradox? Something can't be beyond everything, as it must be a piece of everything. We can't see beyond everything, since any photons we can detect must come from a source within everything. We can't go beyond everything, past some barrier, as we are another part of everything and so is any barrier,..... as is whatever is on the other side. The very idea of a barrier or end indicates something more on the other side. Not even nothing can be beyond everything.

Does anyone see the point I'm trying to make? I haven't had my coffee yet, this may not be explained as clearly as I'd like.

I think I'll take Tormod's advice and read the book he recommends.