Science Forums

Sci-fi imagination

Get crazy with your imagination:

How would you cloak a planet?

How would you cloak a solar system including its sun?

How would you destroy an entire M-class planet without some ad hoc super powerful Death Star laser?

If the Earth were situated in a star cluster with other similarly advanced civilizations, what would the primary mode of transportation be? How long would it take to get from one star to another? Would there be some sort of interstaller mass transit system?

If dark energy causes the acceleration of the universe's expansion and we're in for a Big Stretch at some point in the far future, how would you counteract this force to keep your solar system together?

:rant: :eek:

If dark energy causes the acceleration of the universe's expansion and we're in for a Big Stretch at some point in the far future, how would you counteract this force to keep your solar system together?

Fun questions - but this one is based on wrong assumptions. Cosmic expansion happens in the void between the galaxies. So the galaxies themselves do not expand, they are only separated by more and more void.

Fun questions - but this one is based on wrong assumptions. Cosmic expansion happens in the void between the galaxies. So the galaxies themselves do not expand, they are only separated by more and more void.

I based that question on this article (which quite possibly be flawed in itself):

A rather harrowing new theory about the death of the universe paints a picture of "phantom energy" ripping apart galaxies, stars, planets and eventually every speck of matter in a fantastical end to time.

How would you cloak a planet?
I wouldn’t. If I wanted to avoid having an enemy detect my presence on a particular planet, I’d avoid changing its appearance or emitting any unusual radiation
How would you cloak a solar system including its sun?
Any scheme that utilizes all of a star’s energy – Dyson spheres, Matrioshka Brains, etc - renders it hard to detect.
How would you destroy an entire M-class planet without some ad hoc super powerful Death Star laser?
Nudge one or more good sized kuiper objects into a collision course with it, then wait. Possibly paint the object black to prevent its detection.
If the Earth were situated in a star cluster with other similarly advanced civilizations, what would the primary mode of transportation be? How long would it take to get from one star to another? Would there be some sort of interstaller mass transit system?
My best guess for what an advanced, spacefaring civilization, regardless of its location in or near a galaxy, would use to move baryonic matter from star to star, is a network of large lasers drawing power from their local stars, propelling light-sail ships not too different in design from those of the last few decades. Travel time would depend on the what acceleration the various cargos could endure.
The Big Rip, if it happens, is predicted to effect not just planetary systems, but atomic matter itself. If it happens, it’s most likely not going to for another 20 billion years or so. I’d put off worrying about it for at least 19 billion years :lol: