Science Forums

Casimir effect and wormhole for FTL communication?

Greg_G47

Just a thought:

could the observed negative energy density created by the casimir effect be enough to say, offset the energy of a beam of IR or radio frequency radiation? If so, could FTL communication be achieved by sending this beam and some of the "negative energy" along with it through a lorentzian wormhole?

Two issues I thought of in the time it took to write the question:

How much of a stretch is it to get from having a region of negative energy to being able to project it?

How do you keep information in such a signal? i.e how do you separate the negative/positive energy at the other end?

So now its 3 questions instead of one. You'll never have nothing to do if you like physics.

'Tis a good question. I suppose if you combined equal quantities of positive and negative energy you'd get plain old nothing. Sending a beam of nothing to nowhere isn't nearly as exciting as the original idea. If the issue with wormholes is just that the total energy density inside must be zero or the thing collapses could you keep the positive and negative energy separate but close enough together to fit into the wormhole?