Science Forums

Where to next...

Jay-qu

Im am now nearing the end of my secondard education and have been puting a lot of thought into universities and what not, I want to do a science corse majoring in Astro-Physics (hopefully go on to a Phd). Any way every where i turn the answer seems to be overseas, here in Australia we dont have a big 'space' industry - well im not really sure if there is one at all...

so, in the many countries people from Hypography reside in, is there a large emphasis on the space industry and or tertiary studies that focus beyond the earth?

Beijing is going to be the next space boom town. The Chinese are pouring billions into their space program. Learn Chinese quickly.

If you come to the US, you need to go to Lancaster where all the fledgling space companies are, and this is where most of Richard Branson's money from Virgin Intergalactic is headed. Although Bush II has said alot about funding more space programs, he's all hat and no horse: the money isn't there, and with the huge deficits being piled up, its going to be the first area cut.

There's always pure astrophysical research, but that's only if you really want to be a starving student the rest of your life. But you can do this in some pretty cool locations around the world, even Australia where there are a couple of good radio astronomy locations...

Cheers,

Buffy

yeah thats if you want to move to canberra... also there is only two positions availible per year - so i would have to do pretty damm good! also those positions are more astronomy and imaging than theoretical astro-physics

still hoping someone from a top secret government organisation will recognise me and hire me into some really interesting research job... but thats something that happens in movies

i might have to start my own organisation, i could call it ARSE - Australian Research for Space Exploration...

yeah thats if you want to move to canberra...
Well, I've been to Canberra, and its nicer than Lancaster which is in the middle of the Mojave Desert! Honest!
i might have to start my own organisation, i could call it ARSE - Australian Research for Space Exploration...
Hahahahahahaha! :eek:

Actually, I've always thought that the north coast would be a great place for a launch complex, but you'd need to get the manufacturing closer to it. Its the right latitude...

Cheers,

Buffy