Science Forums

I dig that grave, man

motherengine

granted there is not a over abundance of horror lovers, but i will pose the question of why violent acts and macabre subject matter are of interest at all to any sentient mind.

young men may fill in the quota for alot of this interest yet i believe much of this is due to cultural influence.

personal idea is that exposure to fake death and suffering gives a momentary sense of emotional control for those who are becoming intimately aware of the brutality of a hostile world and those (like your humble questioner) who are still very sensative to the poignancy of nightmares.

___I just watched a science show the other day on the subject of violent behavior. Lots of electrodes hooked up to very bad men under very heavy guard. Seems they have some major parietal lobe non-function in reaction to stress where not very bad men do have function, or activity, in reaction to the same stressers.

___So it seems possible to me now that a certain background reaction to violent/macbre input is hard wired in the brain structure & the degree or level of interest varies with how well or complete connections grow.

They are simply emotional roller-costers. It is a form of escape and release for many. You may be pissed at your boss or your ex or whatever, and to see a symbolic individual get killed by a stapeler or what not is entertaining. You get to blow off the steam and not go postal on your boss.

AS there ar many different people, they are taken differently by each individual and the affects of vary for the specific individual depending on development. Obviously it probably isn't good to let a four year old watch The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but a 24 year old can understand the implications much better.