Science Forums

Fine tuned universe

Kizzi

Is universe fine tuned by a creator?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Is universe fine tuned by a creator?

• Yes
    • Maybe, maybe not
    • No
    • Don't know

The universe itself could possess a conciousness without the neccessity for life as we understand it to exist. Remember this one thing, complexity could be the precursor to conciousness.
Given our woeful ignorance of the Universe I can agree, when I put on my 'wild thinking' hat, that an intelligent consciousness might arise in a non-organic way. I would still classify it as life, but that is matter of definition rather than substance.

I wholeheartedly agree that consciousness is a result of complexity. It also appears that the Universe inherently moves towards complexity. That is a surprising thing, that from a (seemingly) simple origin as a pretty homogenous bunch of energy the Universe has evolved increasingly complex structures that are quantitatively and qualitatively different.

It seems logical (from my localised, limited, hominid perspective) that the complexity of societies, based upon human consciousness and intelligence (or their alien equivalents), are the tentative next steps of the Universe in its tendency to increase its own complexity.

However, those steps may be the result of design, or they may be the result of chance. Hence my middle of the road response to the poll.

However, those steps may be the result of design, or they may be the result of chance. Hence my middle of the road response to the poll.

Absolutely Eclogite, the only two possibilities that make any sense. Because we both agree about the only reasonable choices to this question, the ultimate determination depends upon each of our personal experiences. In my case, my faith and my spiritual relationship with my creator has given me reason to make the choice. Otherwise, like yourself, I would still be balancing between these two alternate possibilities.