Science Forums

Will Linux become the next portable device platform?

Linux hackers have been working long and hard to get linux running on all kinds of portable devices, Ipods, Irivers, palms, mobile phones, there are projects to get psp to run linux, not to mention gaming platforms, from old ataris to the PS3 Linux is the OS you can already see. (I didnt mean for it to rhyme ;) )

Anyways, there are some hints on TechWeb (http://www.linuxpipeline.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=166402499) that Nokia might switch to Linux as their platform for the mobile devices to come, since Linux has been ported to Symbian chipsets, and Nokia is just about ready to switch to them, using Linux for them makes perfect sense. Linux on the other hand can become the leading mobile device platform, and as if that wasnt enough, PalmSource's project to port PalmOS to Linux, will, together with the Nokia deal, establish Linux as the leading mobile device platform, solidly. Anxious to see how it turns out ;)

Anyways, I've seen Linux on a palm before, that would be my friend's Zaurus PDA by Sharp, it actually looks awesome, it has a great design, and combines easiness of use with almost full functionality of a linux box, and with cool things like ethernet over USB we were able to telnet into his PDA (ssh deamon is not there) it was quite cool actually...