Science Forums

I'm New!

Atis

Hey my names Nick and well, I'm kind of new. I've been using this site for a good portion of this year. I just haven't really felt the need to post anything. I know, not the best way for people to get to know me :) but I'm working on that Internet shy thing. I have pretty much used this site for all the science news updates. I LOVE what I find on here and since the web is my only source of education, this place suits me well. I have been attempting to get into college but recurrent Hodgkin's lymphoma is kind of an obstacle. I was diagnosed when I was 13, and I'm now 21. Yea ... Hodgkin's has the 90% cure rate. As the docs say, it's the one you want. I'm not too bitter about it despite some of the crap that has happened. I've undergone a load of chemotherapy, radiation, 2 stem cell transplants (myoablative-autologous & mini-allogeneic), open heart surgery from a thrombus in my right atrium (caused from a central line). Oh yea, I also have bad lungs from a complication with the mini-allo transplant. Graft Vs. Host Disease is it's official name, but it pretty much gave me fibrosis in a good part of my lungs (Bronchiolitis Obliterans) . I blow out 1 Liter of air over 1 second. I think prior to this complication it was around 5 liters. Okay! I'm not doing this for sympathy :) I'm pretty much used to this stuff so I'm not really here for a comfort group. It's just this is a big part of my life, I wish I had a job to tell you about but I guess this takes up a little too much time for much else. The real reason I'm here is because I really love science!! And I intend to use my brain to it's best potential no matter if it's in my bedroom, college, or a lab. I think among my favs are Physics, Astronomy, Evolution, Bio is a forced fav. I have a bunch of E-books on them but they are a bit difficult to get through on your own. The Teaching Company is also helping me out with some of their lectures. I'm trying to cover some lectures by Feynman that I just recently aquired (not ttc). I also get to nab books when my GF is done with her college classes, sadly she's a creative writing major so they are quite limited in scientific quality. I also love music. Listening and playing it. I am by no means great at the guitar but I get by. The piano I am even less skilled at. I am taking up the violin as well ... and for me it is the most difficult by far. The other hobbies are cars and street bikes. The usual guy stuff I guess. Since, I live in Florida I'm also trying to take up body boarding and surfing, but I hear it's not the best idea when you can't breathe and can get an infection in your central line. I am ,however, still trying. I'm sorry about writing a ridiculously long post, and I really wasn't trying to pull the drama thing. Cancer just takes a really good portion of my life. It doesn't really bother me so it's not too bad talking about it. Not too mention if you need any medical advice I can probably find a doc who can get some decent answers for you :) Other than getting a doctor's advice I claim no expertise. Thanks for allowing me to be a part of your community. I need all of the learning help I can get.

Nick