Science Forums

"any Topic" - Glue

hazelm

Does anyone know of a glue that will glue a rubber ring to a glass lid?  The rubber ring is the kind that is used on canning jars, only flimsier.  It fits around a ridge on the underside of the lid but not tightly.  Two little metal clamps then hold the two to a bottle.    I doubt that rubber ring will last very long unless it is stabilized to the lid and there is nothing to hold the two pieces steady while attaching those two clamps.

Thank you for whatever you know will work. 

Does anyone know of a glue that will glue a rubber ring to a glass lid?  The rubber ring is the kind that is used on canning jars, only flimsier.  It fits around a ridge on the underside of the lid but not tightly.  Two little metal clamps then hold the two to a bottle.    I doubt that rubber ring will last very long unless it is stabilized to the lid and there is nothing to hold the two pieces steady while attaching those two clamps.

Thank you for whatever you know will work. 

Try wetting the ring. If you are putting eatables in the jar, glue sounds like an invitation to toxicity. Eatable or not, water should work fine.

Thank you, Turtle.  That is exactly what I did last night. I washed and rinsed them.  Then I made a discovery.  The rings don't fit on what we'd think is the underside of the lids. They do fit on what I'd think is the upper side.  So, I turned the lids upside down and they are working fine - as long as those little clamps last.

How do I know "upside" and "downside"?  The name of the maker is on both the bottle and on the lid.  I figure the name should  be upper so one can read it when the bottle is closed.  As it fits, the name is on the bottom side.  Since it is all glass, you can see it but upside-down and backward.

Makes sense?