Science Forums

Lost My Best Friend Today

Moontanman

1966253_10201916170639895_362794762_o.jp

Lost My Best Friend Today

I lost my best friend today, he was my buddy, followed me everywhere I went, slept snuggled up to me every night, would not allow strange dogs to get close to me and even people he didn’t know. He would always place himself between anything he suspected might be dangerous and me. He was very protective. My heart is broken…

He was a Basset Hound named Winston, many people and other dogs I am sure, thought he was an *******. I told people he suffered from an excess of personality, in reality he had a very strong sense of self. He knew who he was and how far he was willing to be trifled with.

On the way to the vet I broke out in tears, he struggled to get into my lap and kiss the tears away even though I was taking him to be put to sleep. He had been quite sick for the last few weeks and I just couldn’t let him suffer anymore.

Now I suffer from a broken heart, all dogs take a piece of your heart when they go and he took a huge chunk of mine. He gave me far more than I gave him, always ready to go for a car ride and hanging his big head and ears out the window was his favorite thing. People would wave at him and he would give a bark that drowned out traffic. He always had a bark that sounded like it should come from a two hundred pound dog but toward the end he had wasted away to only 38 pounds.

Hound dogs are very special to me and he was a special hound dog, as I sit here at my desk I keep expecting him to be laying at me feet, I used to wrap his ears around my feet when it was cold, he loved me but he wasn’t submissive, if I annoyed him too much he would give me a quite snarl and walk a few away and lay down and look at me as though he was scolding me for taking him for granted.

My other two dogs have been howling off and on the last couple of days like they knew something bad were about to happen. Winston was their pack leader and they will miss him I am sure even though he bullied them around.

Losing a dog is always horrible; I like to think he will be waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge along with all my other dogs I’ve loved over the years but fairy tales are for children… but right now the Rainbow Bridge is something I want so badly to be true.

I will miss him horribly…

RIP Winston my friend...

I'm so sorry for your loss, MTM. Winston sounds like a wonderful dog.

I'm glad your other dogs are well. I've long regretted that we humans live so much longer than our dog and cat companions.

I think our affinity for other species, especially pets, is an important part of being human. We sorely miss them when they die, but are still better for having known them.

I'm so sorry for your loss, MTM. Winston sounds like a wonderful dog.

I'm glad your other dogs are well. I've long regretted that we humans live so much longer than our dog and cat companions.

I think our affinity for other species, especially pets, is an important part of being human. We sorely miss them when they die, but are still better for having known them.

I agree, it is an important part of being human, in fact I think the case can be made that dogs helped us evolve and develop civilization...