Science Forums

Some Of My Thoughts On Music

RonPrice

Music is an art form whose medium is sound and silence. Its common elements are pitch which governs melody and harmony, rhythm and its associated concepts tempo, meter, and articulation), dynamics, and the sonic qualities of timbre and texture. The word derives from a Greek word which, when translated, means  "art of the Muses." Although this sub-section of my website is part of popular culture, I deal on this webpage with music in its totality: all forms, all cultures and the history of music.

The creation, performance, significance, and even the definition of music all vary according to culture and social context. Music ranges from strictly organized compositions, and their recreation in performance, through improvisational music to aleatoric forms. Music can be divided into genres and subgenres, although the dividing lines and relationships between music genres are often subtle, sometimes open to personal interpretation, and occasionally controversial. Within the arts, music may be classified as a performing art, a fine art, & auditory art. It may also be divided among art music and folk music. There is also a strong connection between music and mathematics. Music may be played and heard live, may be part of a dramatic work or film, or may be recorded.  This page of my website is not only about the music of popular culture, but it is also about the total field of music. For more of this introduction to music go to:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music For my website on the subject of music go to: http://www.ronpriceepoch.com/Music.html

• 7 years later...