Science Forums

Best Conservation Strategies? Parks, Arks, Boycotts, Protesters?

Eclipse Now

Hi all,
I'm trying to build a list of conservationist strategies and action groups. I think I might list the groups under different strategies. What's your favourite environmental organisations? What do they do, and what strategies do they use? 

1. PARKS
Do you have a favourite National Park? How can people support it? What groups help create new parks? What's the best way to organise a new park?

2. ARKS
What about 'arks', or special zoo's and breeding programs for threatened species? (I'm thinking of the Tasmanian Devil breeding programs, but what animals and support organisations are you passionate about?)

3. BOYCOTTS?
What about boycotts? What products do you refuse to buy because they threaten biodiversity or your favourite animals and / or ecosystems? What websites do you follow to learn more? What 'safe buying' sites are there?

4. PROTESTS & TREEHUGGING?
Warriors: what groups have treehuggers that chain themselves to trees, lock the gates and throw away the keys to protect ecosystems against new coal mines or pipelines, etc?

5. OTHER
What other conservation strategies have I not considered? What groups represent them?

Oh by far one of my favorite local parks groups is the Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy. They're a great example of a large, well-organized and thus well-funded conservatory organization, if you want to study such things. I've moved from the Bay Area but I still support them because they do lots of good stuff especially in education for kids as well as conservation of resources.

The power of imagination makes us infinite, :phones:
Buffy

Oh by far one of my favorite local parks groups is the Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy. They're a great example of a large, well-organized and thus well-funded conservatory organization, if you want to study such things. I've moved from the Bay Area but I still support them because they do lots of good stuff especially in education for kids as well as conservation of resources.

The power of imagination makes us infinite, :phones:
Buffy

Thanks Buffy, 

I think I'll have to have a large American page. Lots of work ahead.  :scared: