Science Forums

Why Don't We Create A Pod?

violetbird27

In the light novel legendary moonlight sculptur similar to SAO they also used dive technology but in the form of a pod. It got me thinking if instead of "virtually" creating feedback we simply use technology already in existence to make a similar product.

For the visuals we already have the oculus rift or we simply create one.

For the sounds we add integrated speakers.

For the sense of touch the users could wear a haptic suit and have the SUIT not our brains hooked up to the pod. Wouldn't that essentially be what were trying to create. An immersive environment? I doubt it gets more in the game than that at present.

• 2 months later...

Well, in under a year and just over $3000 you could get:

• High-End 4K Gaming PC
  • Rift CV
  • Virtuix Omni
  • Sixense STEM controllers
  • Nice Headphones

As far as I have seen, this is the most immersive environment you can get for VR at this point. I highly double haptic suits will take off. Its a big deal to put on and I have a feeling it would be disappointing anyway.

Edit: Actually, with a big enough room, you could swap out the VO, STEMs and the Rift for a Valve Vive, if what Valve is promising comes to light.

Edited by nullspaceM

• 1 year later...

Well, we could do that.

But we're humans and it's in our nature to try and make better things than we've already got.

Also we're SAO fans (well, at least me),

I've just thought of something interesting. How do you think Reki Kawahara would react if he knew that there's a group of us trying to make his imagination a reality?

• 2 months later...

I've just thought of something interesting. How do you think Reki Kawahara would react if he knew that there's a group of us trying to make his imagination a reality?

It's likely that he would have expected some people to attempt to make it. However, whether he would expect anyone to put this much effort into it is another matter!

The main problem with a pod is that if you wanted to install the pod in your home it would be very difficult and require you to spend even more money just to fit it. Other than that this could be used in the alpha model while we are still working on the idea.

Finally, the realistic feature - pain - would be a possible optional addition* to the full emersion just so that you could easily stimulate pain receptors with something in the pod - I don't know how** but it is presumably easier with access to the whole body.

* Some people would definitely want and use this feature just because it would make them feel more accomplished.

** I'm only 14!

Finally, the realistic feature - pain - would be a possible optional addition* to the full emersion just so that you could easily stimulate pain receptors with something in the pod - I don't know how** but it is presumably easier with access to the whole body.

* Some people would definitely want and use this feature just because it would make them feel more accomplished.

** I'm only 14!

Other than the optional feature. (I don't know if this is allowed by law and have no idea how to find out if it is) The game could have some areas which the feature of pain is a requirement to enter it. So only the hardcore gamers would be allowed into the area.

Although the full package would have to have some pain if the game fools the brain into feeling things via senses. I don't know about this either but it might be possible to input a maximum sensory output.

Edited by KiritoSci