Science Forums

A possible way to explain the inflation theory without changing Relativity

nkt

There is no way to explain inflation without changing special relativity and general relativity.

Special relativity would have to allow for faster than light-speed propagation: one thing it will never do.

General relativity would have to be modified too for faster than light propagation: one thing it will never do.

Yet this is exactly what my theory overcomes. Gravity not playing a part in the initial expansion means we need not worry about black holes forming, nor about having matter moving faster than light speed to escape said black hole.

Even better, that gravity was "off" during the initial expansion is, in fact, predicted by GR! Hence we don't need to invoke special dimensions or other tricks.

Once the universe expanded and cooled slightly, and so because inhomogenous, gravity kicked in, and started to act in one dimension. As other plate directions became inhomogenous, gravity started to act in the other dimensions too, until we had gravity in all 3 dimensions.

Now we just need to settle the arguement about the speed of gravity...

The appearance that all galaxies are moving away from us and the CMB can give the impression that there was a beginning. You know that if two people are riding in a car and they go through an intersection that has a stop light. One of the riders says the light was red the other says green. the only way we can know for sure is if someone took a picture of the car in the intersection showing the color of the light. I have not seen the picture yet.

BTW coldc, show us how the universe is flat, for that matter show us how it is not curved.

Yet this is exactly what my theory overcomes. Gravity not playing a part in the initial expansion means we need not worry about black holes forming, nor about having matter moving faster than light speed to escape said black hole. Even better, that gravity was "off" during the initial expansion is, in fact, predicted by GR! Hence we don't need to invoke special dimensions or other tricks. Once the universe expanded and cooled slightly, and so because inhomogenous, gravity kicked in, and started to act in one dimension. As other plate directions became inhomogenous, gravity started to act in the other dimensions too, until we had gravity in all 3 dimensions.Now we just need to settle the arguement about the speed of gravity...

If general relativity breaks down at t = 0, it is not because general relativity predicted a big bang, nor is it because gravity was “off” at the time.

General relativity GR should never break down. Neither should quantum mechanics, or the laws of thermodynamic. Your theory is creative though. I’d buy it if it were for sale at Christie’s. You would be better off starting from GR and working from there. Read it. And when you’ve finished, read it again, and again, until this sink in...General relativity is “not speculative in origin.” What you write is. That was from Einstein himself. And so is this: GR “must not be regarded as arbitrary, but only as conditioned by observed facts.” What you right is not. “The elements which form their basis and starting-point are not hypothetically constructed but empirically discovered ones, general characteristics of natural processes, principles that give rise to mathematically formulated criteria…” (1919, see 1954).

cheers

cc

The appearance that all galaxies are moving away from us and the CMB can give the impression that there was a beginning. You know that if two people are riding in a car and they go through an intersection that has a stop light. One of the riders says the light was red the other says green. the only way we can know for sure is if someone took a picture of the car in the intersection showing the color of the light. I have not seen the picture yet.

BTW coldc, show us how the universe is flat, for that matter show us how it is not curved.

Hello Little Bang. I’ve never written that I thought the universes was flat. On the contrary. I have written (and read in every relevant book or journal) that inflation theory predicts a flat universes. Theorists like Steinhardt and Guth (especially) were hoping the universe would show signs of flatness, an observation that would vindicates the critical model,with galaxies expanding twice as far twice as fast, four time as far, four times as fast, a Hubble expansion flow. That has shown observationally not to be the case. The case is closed on flatness as far as I am concerned. For the record: the universe is not flat, far from it.

I’m sure inflation theorists, and big bang theorists will continue to pursue, as they should, all possibilities. It would be imprudent not to do so considering the importance of such material.

Your traffic light analogy is not bad. Though the CMB gives no impression at all that there was a beginning. It is thought to be a redshifted relic of an initial hot event. There is no evidence whatsoever of that. There is no way of measuring the CMB beyond or local group or galaxies, where redshift in the spectra of galaxies begins. The CMB observed is bathing the universe, granted, but the bath continues right up to our doorstep. Meaning, that detecting the CMB beyond our local system is impossible. It is not like distant light sources. It is a thermal blackbody radiation.

It is as if you where standing in SOHO (New York City) where the ambient temperature was say 80º F, and you want to find out the ambient temperature in Central Park. So you point your spectrometer uptown and take a few readings. What temperature do you get? 80º F.

Indeed, the interpretation of CMB as a fossil soup depends entirely of a hypothesis who’s time has come and gone...

You write too that all galaxies appear to be moving away from us. Sorry, not true. Cold correction: Galaxies look as if they are fixed in the background. All we have to go on is the loss of energy associated with spectral emissions from distant sources. Without going into the history of redshift and a list of the proposed reasons for it, I will mention that there remains only one other possibility besides the Doppler-shift interpretation. Most other hypotheses are excluded and disproved on the grounds that the loss of energy should be independent of the wavelength. Observations have shown wavelength independence over 19 octaves of the spectrum.

The only other possibility is that light (and indeed radiation from every other wavelength in the spectrum) is redshifted as it passes through a general relativistic curved spacetime metric, i.e., the universe appears to be non-Euclidean continuum. As seen from the perspective of any observer at the present time the universe will look the same in all directions.

The inherent designation of the spatiotemporal quantity gives the metric in the manifold. The resulting multi-dimensional curvature, or, ‘bending of 3-space,’ transforms the distances between points and alters the rate of clocks simultaneously as measured from the relative location of the observer. What we have is spacetime dilation with increasing distance away from the observer. It is non-linear: There is evolution in the lookback time....

more to come....

I am interested in your theory little bang if you could send me a private email with some text about it. Maybe some common ground will surface. You have potential.

Coldc...

Coldc, go to Wikipedia and look up Flatness problem. Inflation theory was proposed to explain the observed flatness and the fact that no monopoles have ever been observed.

I know. But the universe is not observed to be flat. Originally it was thought to be. The 1998 supernovae results show that is not the case (without tweeking an entire set of supposed parameters, the kooky energy parameter included). Case closed for inflation. It is time to move on...