Science Forums

Does Muscle Testing Really Work? Why Or Why Not?

I've had two chiropractors and one functional medicine practitioner perform muscle testing on me and I have to say, the jury is out on whether it's a valid procedure.

Part of me feels "the body knows," so it must be of some value. Another part of me has its doubts.

Has anyone else undergone muscle testing, and if so, what are your thoughts?

Because applied kinesiology it is not based on any experimentally validated scientific theory of anatomy and physiology, and because from the little I have read about it, manual muscle testing is a subjective, not objective, I strongly doubt that it’s a valid diagnostic technique, and expect that, like much of chiropractic and osteopathy, it is, from a population health perspective, worse than nothing, because it may result in an ill person not receiving legitimate medical attention.

I’m curious, Verona – did the muscle testing performed on you involve holding a “test substance”, as described in this JREF page, or not, as described in this wikipedia article?

CraigD, the chiropractor had a kit containing maybe 30 or so vials, each containing a known allergen. He had me told two or three vials at a time in one hand while he muscle tested the other arm. If my arm dropped, he would then test those particular vials one by one until he determined which one I was responding to. The functional practitioner I saw simply had me hold actual bottles of supplements and vitamins I was taking in one hand while muscle testing the other arm. (I kept my eyes shut so I didn't know what I was holding throughout this process.)

I can certainly see what you mean by your opinion that kinesiology is likely not a valid diagnostic technique. Curiously, however, the chiropractor correctly identified substances I know I am sensitive to despite the fact I had no knowledge of what contents each vial contained at the time I was holding it, and the functional practitioner correctly identified supplements/ vitamins that I suspected were not helping me.