Science Forums

Do Air Purifiers/ionizers Work?

fuk

Hi, im trying to find out how to clean the air in my room.

I feel so fatigued and brain fogged when im sitting in my room in the computer, it gets a little bit better in the living room. My room has a window that doesn't face the street, but the laundry, so I have to live off opening the living room and hoping some new air enters. I think I need an air purifier.

Im not going to spend ridiculous amounts of money on IqAir ones, so this one seems good for the money, has negative ions too, it captures particles smaller than 0.1um, so it gets rid of mold and a lot of other stuff, it can't do no wrong. Should I leave it running 24 hours?  I have never tested for air quality, but I think it's pretty much trash. My room is in the corner of the flat, I have a computer running almost all day and other electronic components, little ventilation etc. I clearly feel a bit better in the living room, air feels less congested and heavy. Breathing is easier. Also, I live near a community pool so who knows if there is mold (i cant see any but you cant never know). I think this one is good and I will eliminate possible problems in the air.  Any experiences with air purifiers?

Also can we once and for all end the negative ionizer debate? There are some scientific research that apparently show it's legit.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16045061

Some other stuff there: 

http://www.djclarke.co.uk/file06.html

Thanks.

Edited by fuk

This isn't a "scientific" response by any means, but I think there could very well be more than one factor at work in determining why you feel better in the living room than in your room. Yeah, it could be an air purity issue, but it seems to me that unless your bedroom and living room are each closed off, air purity would probably be similar from room to room for the whole flat. Also, it could be that lighting is better in one room than the other, that more fresh air is coming into the living room via the front door, that you are slightly claustrophobic and the living room is larger and makes you feel more comfortable, etc., etc., etc. I'm not discouraging the use of an air purifier, but after having one myself, I wouldn't advise you expect wonders from it, ha.

If the question is can you randomly post links I would think the admin could answer that for you. I only post those that are relvent to the subject I am talking about. As to the topic (or what I can gather from it), I think they can work but then again more studies need to be done. There is a big thing going on right now with the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) trying to push vaporizers as traidtional cigarettes. Many people are upset about this because the juice contains propylene glycol but that is the same thing used in hospitals for their air sanitizers. Maybe a better question would be which ones work and which ones do not work? :)

If the question is can you randomly post links I would think the admin could answer that for you. I only post those that are relvent to the subject I am talking about. As to the topic (or what I can gather from it), I think they can work but then again more studies need to be done. There is a big thing going on right now with the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) trying to push vaporizers as traidtional cigarettes. Many people are upset about this because the juice contains propylene glycol but that is the same thing used in hospitals for their air sanitizers. Maybe a better question would be which ones work and which ones do not work? :)

The air purifiers/ionizers im talking about don't use any propylene glycol. Afaik it's basically just a filter, then some of then also throw negative ions. I have posted studies on my first post and apparently it helped a lot with depression which is interesting.

Check this out:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16045061

http://www.djclarke.co.uk/file06.html

Edited by fuk

More

Rat skin was deprived of epidermis and the wound was exposed to ions generated with Bion 80 apparatus, for 3 h, just after wounding, only once. In comparison with the control, positive air ions retarded and negative air ions accelerated the wound healing. This effect was almost the same when air, nitrogen, oxygen and carbon dioxide were applied. A direct action of air ions is suggested.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3709755

Differential negative air effects on learning disabled and normal-achieving children

Forty normal-achieving and 33 learning disabled (LD) children were assigned randomly to either a negative ion or placebo test condition. On a dichotic listening task using consonant-vowel (CV) combina...Read more +

http://www.springerlink.com/content/t028854627279361/

Air ionisation and colonisation infectionTo determine effect of negative air ions on colonisation/infection with methicillinresistant
Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and Acinetobacter species in an intensive care unit. Design: Prospective single-centre cross-over study in an adult general intensive care unit. Patients: 201 patients whose stay on the unit exceeded 48 hour’s duration. Intervention: Six negative air ionisers were installed on the unit but not operational for the first 5 months of the study (control period). Devices were then operational for the following 5.5 months. Measurements and results: 30 and 13 patients were colonised/infected with MRSA and Acinetobacter spp., respectively, over 10.5 months. No change in MRSA colonisation/infection was observed compared with the 5 month control period.  Acinetobacter cases were reduced from 11 to 2 (p = 0.007). Conclusion: Ionisers may have a role in the prevention of Acinetobacter infections.

Air ionisation and colonisation infection (81 KB)

http://www.springerlink.com/content/y203q5776x1775n5/

Effect of Negative Ions on Drivers

The influence of negative air ions on driver's mental stress and fatigue was investigated in this study. Two kinds of driving-task loading, produced by a simple driving simulator, were conducted under negative air ions. Although there was no difference in sensory evaluation between the negative ion condition and the control condition, the level of adrenaline in the urine was lower under the negative ion condition than that under the control condition. Misses in detecting the lighted LEDs were decreased under the negative ion condition. These results show that negative air ions can improve fatigue and cognition performance of the drivers.

To read the full article click here.

http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/article/200218/000020021802A0675071.php

The Positive Health Benefits of Negative Ions

By Jim English

(excerpt)...

Early clues about the biological effect of ions on human health appear as reports of increased irritability, migraine attacks and thromboembolism in response to alterations in atmospheric electrical states that accompany incoming weather fronts. (18)

Scientific evidence began to mount in the 1970s when researchers measured metabolic changes in mice and rats in response to changes in ion charge (negative or positive) and concentration, including alterations in serotonin levels and recovery from illness. When exposed to positive ions (which accumulate in the atmosphere at the beginning of a storm) researchers routinely noted that animals became agitated, aggressive and were more prone to respiratory illness. Furthermore, when mice were infected with influenza virus and housed in an environment depleted of all ions, death rates increased, indicating a previously unknown benefit on overall health. (19)

Please read the entire article on their website.

http://nutritionreview.org/library/negative.ions.php

Your noble posting regimen not withstanding, if you can gather it, what studies are you aware of that support the efficacy of the nebulous question that opened this thread and why do you think further study is necessary?

In other words, why should I take your post to be anything more than meaningless drivel?

In other words, why should I take your post to be anything more than meaningless drivel?

You replied, right? Let me guess, you are one of the people who is running around out there yelling that propylene glycol is bad for all of the people out there (like me) who vape rather than continue to feed the big evil monster (tobacco industry). Are you also going to give up soda and toothpaste too? The point was that you can not just say they work or don't work without full studies, but you also can not state something without backing it up with facts too. My remark was to the fact of one key ingredient - propylene glycol which was properly sourced.

I am guessing you are also against the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) with your snarky remark. What about an FDA site on PG, the NH or is drugs.com also out in your book? Keep in mind, this is a forum, your opinion is your own (just like mine is, but at least I linked some information where you just attempted to trolled a bit). Maybe the better question is what do you consider a real source of information and can you care to enlighten the rest of us so we can properly adhere to your personal rules and regulations within an open forum?