Science Forums

A Fun Phantasy Hypothesis

SaxonViolence

Let us start with the

Major Premise:

Somehow the Virtual Cyber-Space of the Internet Includes the Internet of The Future; The Internet of many (perhaps all) Alternate Realities and even Alien Races Equivalent to the Internet—if Internet-Using Aliens exist...

{Why would The Internet work this way? Well its a Fun Hypothesis, not a Doctoral Thesis.

Arm-Waving Mambo-Jambo Arguments Later...much}

Minor Premise:

Getting into "Exotic" areas of The Internet isn't exactly Easy or Natural...

If it was, people would do it every day.

IF you believed the Major and Minor Premises—What sort of Online Search/Hacking Strategies would you be using to try to break into the "Restricted Zone"

{Though perhaps not Conciously Restricted by Intent...}

Saxon Violence

Let us start with the Major Premise: Somehow the Virtual Cyber-Space of the Internet Includes the Internet of The Future; The Internet of many (perhaps all) Alternate Realities and even Alien Races Equivalent to the Internet—if Internet-Using Aliens exist...

I’m not sure what you’re hypothesizing here, SV.

That aliens – non-H. sapiens that exist somewhere in real space and time – are connecting to our internet? That artificially intelligent computer programs – either intentional or unintentional/emergent – are running on computers connected to the internet? That something hinky involving future-to-past communication is involved?

IF you believed the Major and Minor Premises—What sort of Online Search/Hacking Strategies would you be using to try to break into the "Restricted Zone"{Though perhaps not Conciously Restricted by Intent...}

I’d say accept rather than believe.

As any secret internet community worth having anything to do with would, IMO, be unhackable in the classic sense (ie: have good security), I imagine the entrance filter would be a complicated puzzle game like those described here, except with the above mentioned unhackability (ie: uncomplicated graphics where clicking justs sends coordinates to the host, plain input boxes, etc – nothing hackable sent to the client) – essentially a long, elaborate riddle-of-the-sphinx situation, in which winning up to some point gets you into some circle of the secret society, but losing doesn’t get you killed and eaten. Most (or all?) of the puzzle is written by (and maybe run interactively, mechanical turk-style, by) outer-circle initiates, and writing puzzles that turn away duffers is almost certainly a requirement – part of the puzzle - for outer-circle initiates to reach more inner circles. There may be no central circle, or the central circle may be something weird like an emergent AI or a expert system mash-up emulation or Richard Stallman, Donald Knuth, Bruce Schneier, Vannevar Bush and Tim Berners-Lee – or may seem to be, being actually a realized mythic fictional creation of outer-circle hacker community.

Personally, I’m more partial to the “AI breakout” genre of virtual reality SF (the 1999 movie The Thirteenth Floor being IMHO the canonic example), rather than what I’m sketching above, which we could term “meatspace breaking”, but they’re all (potentially) good SF ideas IMHO.

Now there’s just the problem of finding the time and learning the writerly chops to write them. :)

I'm positing (tongue in cheek)

That Cyber-Space is "Real"—in a Physical Sense...

And that all Possible Cyber-Space is Interconnected and Accessible to all users in Principle.

I specifically wanted to avoid "Conspiracy" and "Matrix-Like Reality Police".

{Although that is one set of possible hypotheses...}

However, since people don't routinely connect to Future Sites; Alien Sites or Whatever...

It must not be terribly easy to Access those "Weird Sites".

There must be Some layers that need to be penetrated to get to "Weird Sites".

Though I'd rather imagine the Obstacles being Natural and Unplanned.

So, if we accept that Premise momentarily, how would one proceed to try to Access at least one "Weird Site" to confirm his silly Hypothesis?

I don't expect that any sane person will try—except as a Jape—but Hypothetically, what kind of Search Terms—or Whatever—would be the most likely to gain you Access?

Note:

You Might be able to get Tomorrow's Stock Report or Tomorrow's Lottery Number...

Best not bet your rent money though...

How do you know that is Tomorrow's Stock Report for This Reality?

Patents; Software; Mathematical Theorems...

That's another matter entirely.

Saxon Violence