Science Forums

The Future

Deepwater6

http://www.futuretimeline.net/beyond.htm#1000000

If the 1,000,000 yr. estimate is correct I don't see much reason for purely biological beings to exist any longer. If planet sized computers run all aspects of government in the galaxy the only thing humans could offer computers is the threat of shutting them down.

Assuming by that time computers have a considerable evolved conscious they would eliminate us to assure their future. Any manual labor and transportation handled by drones. I would also think in the wars of the future the weapons may be deadly enough to end all bio life forms. Leaving only machines or computers still standing after some galactic wars.

And if all that isn't bad enough, if that scenario is correct we would all evolve to be bald. I've got a jump on that part evolution. :P

At a glance, the “1,000,000 AD” section of this Futuretimeline.net appears to me to make some wild assumption. Some are pretty far off the mainstream futurist consensus, as established in fiction and nonfiction.

For example, it assumes that the Alcubierre “FTL warp” drive will in the future exist. While it’s true that a type 3 civilization – one that has at its working disposal the power of an entire galaxy – in principle has enough for an Alcubierre drive, it’s unknown if the exotic matter required by this hypothetical system can in principle exist. If it can, and such a system is possible, then it allows in theory closed timelike curves, which can be used to send information (including information contained, if for some reason it was wanted, in people, either in vivo or silico) into the past, realizing the causality violating implied by Relativity. The galaxy-spanning computer network described in the article would be able to rewrite its own past. It’s hard to speculate on how this would work, but the adjectives “weird” and “god-like” come to mind.

After dropping the phrase “Alcubierre drive”, the futuretimeline.net section jumps to the asserts “Each computer [scattered through many galaxies] is capable of instant communications with any other, regardless of distance”. This is a wilder assertion than of the realization of the Alcubierre drive – it’s asserting the possibility of an ansible. Though a staple of soft SF, present day theory and experimental evidence strongly suggests that ansibles are, and will forever be, impossible. Alcubierre drives (if they’re actually possible) in theory permit FTL, but not infinite-speed, communication.

In short, this Futuretimeline.net section seems to me more a sloppy mash-up of soft SF and popular science nonfiction than a work of serious scientific speculation. Futuretimeline.net doesn’t cite sources or explain the reasoning – if such unqualified claims were made here at hypography, they’d earn a trip to the Strange Claims forum, and “failure to back up” warnings. In gradeschool letters, I give it a C for imagination, and an F for research and science. It’s both too weird and unfounded, and taking a few of its assumption and considering their implications, not weird enough. :thumbs_do