Science Forums

Changing The Earth

Yes, that is crazy too. It would be nice to see a current time lapse of dropping underground aquifers. Since that's not possible do you know anywhere to get a chart of the last 20yrs with the levels of some of the larger ones?

I have accumulated a lot of water co. stock. Not for myself, but for my grandchildren. I think the value of this resource is severely under priced.

Yes, that is crazy too. It would be nice to see a current time lapse of dropping underground aquifers. Since that's not possible do you know anywhere to get a chart of the last 20yrs with the levels of some of the larger ones?

Not exactly what you're after, but a little bit of googling led me to this chart from the Washington Post 10 August 2012: Where the world's running out of water in one map

If I understand what's being represented correctly, a GF/AA ratio of 1 indicates exactly sufficient recharge to replace aquifer usage, a ratio of 5 indicates five times more usage than recharge.

I was surprised to find the aquifer that supplies water to my area, the Edwards Aquifer, is relatively healthy. The reference well depth in San Antonio, while fluctuating annually, is relatively unchanged since 1933. Turtle- you may find that link interesting, as they recorded the impact of the 1964 Alaskan earthquake 3200 miles away.

On March 27, 1964, the "Good Friday Earthquake" in Alaska generated shock waves that created a sloshing effect in the Aquifer and an almost instantaneous surge of over five feet in the J-17 well...

I was surprised to find the aquifer that supplies water to my area, the Edwards Aquifer, is relatively healthy. The reference well depth in San Antonio, while fluctuating annually, is relatively unchanged since 1933. Turtle- you may find that link interesting, as they recorded the impact of the 1964 Alaskan earthquake 3200 miles away.

nice map. :thumbs_up

indeed i did find it interesting. :read: following a side link from your main article i was reading about the Comal Springs and Comal River, and noticed in true form some texan saw fit to claim the Comal the shortest river in the US. alas, we Pacific Northwesters have that [dubious] honor in our D River, which in fact is recorded as the shortest in the world. take that texas!! :lol:

i predict the J-17 will go artesian 8 minutes after cascadia ruptures. :ideamaybenot: duck & cover!!! :earth: