Science Forums

The edge of space

amt7565

Sure! I mean, you don't know about my knowledge, so please use some nicer language....

: )

Csongor

I'm not sure what you are referring to. I was trying to point out that it would seem to be a good idea to know what others had already found before hunting for something new.

It's over!

The admin took of my avatar, on no reason. : )

Othervice, I'm intresting in what you think about the Universe. Do you belive this is an independent naturell system, or we have some power on the existing Universe with the knowledge wich is written down on the Earth?

It's over!

Othervice, I'm intresting in what you think about the Universe. Do you belive this is an independent naturell system, or we have some power on the existing Universe with the knowledge wich is written down on the Earth?

I suspect there is much we do not know about the Universe. It appears to be an independent natural system, but that doesn't mean it is static. Most, if not everything, in the Universe is continually changing, so the Universe itself is changing. Also, I don't discuss religion or politics.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't you think this is unpossible, becouse there always should be something. Max we think this is now 17 light years, and 25 light years, and we now more and more about the existing Universe....

Csongor

Science makes a lot of assumptions that I sometimes question. One of them is that there is no place in the universe significantly different from any other place. This means that if you look out at the universe as it is and if someone a zillion, zillion miles away looks put, both views would be pretty much the same. This also means that anyone, anywhere, looking out into space is also looking back in time, and if there is an age to the universe at one place, then that same age would apply everywhere in the universe.

There are not very many serious scientists who claim to know what lies beyond our Universe. The distance between the stars and galaxies seem to be getting larger and this is interpreted is an expanding universe. By an expanding universe, they do not mean that our universe is a sphere that is getting larger. I suspect the english language simply has no word to explain what the scientists mean when they say the universe is expanding.

Cosmologists look for things they call candles, or markers. The idea is to find something that always happens the same way. There are certain super-novas that shine at the same brightness. If you find two of these markers, and you know the distance to one of them, you can tell how far away the other one is by how the brightness is less due to distance. These markers and other data seem to imply that the universe is around 12 billion years old.

If our universe had a beginning, a reasonable question would be where did it come from?

I have an opinion based on two principles ( 1 ) The Law of Conservation of mass and energy is true and ( 2 ) the present is the key to the past.

( 1 ) The Law of Conservation of Mass and Energy states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed. If energy cannot be created, then there was energy somewhere before our universe was created. And if there was energy before our universe was created, then there is no valid reason to believe that our universe took all of the available energy and there is no more anywhere.

( 2 ) The present is the key to the past is from Geology. It means if you see something that happened in the past and you don't know how it happened, look around the present for something similar. As an example, if you looked into the Grand Canyon and wondered how it came to be, then look aroundthe present and notice how a stream can cut through the soil. If this happens in the present (which you know it does) then this could also have happened in the past.

Apparently our Universe started some 12 billion years ago as a Big Bang. If I look around the present for something that makes a Big Bang, I find that a Black Hole can come to an end in a Big Bang.

There are many possible answers to the birth and end of our universe. It appears to me that the most likely situation is as follows:

( 1 ) Since energy cannot be created, there was never a time when energy did not exist,

( 2 ) Since energy cannot be destroyed, there will never be a time when energy does not exist.

( 3 ) If there was always energy, there is no reason to think that there is a limit to the amount of energy.

( 4 ) If Black Holes can form in our universe, then they could form in other universes, assuming that such universes exist.

IMO ===> There was no beginning, there will be no end, there is no reason to belive that the amount of energy is finite.

This seems to imply that there are universes without end, perhaps as Black Holes or some

similar mechanism.

( 1 ) The Law of Conservation of mass and energy is true and ( 2 ) the present is the key to the past.

The conservation of energy mass is a direct consequence of the fact that physics is symmetrical in time translations (i.e. the laws of physics are the same today as they were yesterday, as they were a week ago. If I perform an experiment tomorrow it will work the same as today). However, given that our universe seems to have a begininng of time, we would expect time translation symmetry to break down near the begininng of time (you could translate yourself to before the begininng of time, which makes no sense). This means there should be no expectation of conservation of energy at the moment of the big bang.

-Will