Science Forums

Html And Linking

pljames

I am aware of linking. A link takes one to the internet like Wikipedia. Is there a way to create a personal link within ones e-mail and not go to the web? I want to embed my thoughts into a personal link to expand my thoughts. The word I use could be the link to the personal e-mail link. I have created my own style of writing and want to incorporate a personal link into my e-mail without going to the net.pljames

I am aware of linking. A link takes one to the internet like Wikipedia. Is there a way to create a personal link within ones e-mail and not go to the web?

I think you're asking if its possible to link to something to be displayed in your browser that's private to your computer, the way a file opened in an application like Notepad or Word is.

There are 2 main ways to do this:

• The first is to run a webserver on you computer. You can then refer to it in your browser with URLs beginning like "http://localhost/". This way is a bit complicated, as it involves nearly as much work and knowledge as create a website by hand, though there may be tools available to make it easier of which I'm not aware.
  • The second is to use the file: protocol, rather than the usual http: one, like this:
    • Create a file (best in a directory you create, eg: "C:\myHTML", using a simple text editor, such as notepad) with the extension ".htm" or ".html" (eg: "c:\myHTML\myMainPage.htm"), being sure to follow at least the minimum rules for a HTML document (begin with "<html>", end with "</html>")
    • Put the files you want to link to in the same directory
    • Insert links in it to those files in the same directory using HTML's A attribute (eg: '<a href="myCoolNotes.txt">notes about cool</a>')
    • Open the document you made with your browser (Windows explorer will do this, as will just typing "c:\myHTML\myMainPage.htm" or whatever you named your file into the address bar of most browsers). Add a bookmark to it, or if you like, make it you homepage however you browser does that (usually under something like "internet setting>home page"), and you'll be able to go to your personal main page whenever you like, just as it it were a website on the internet.

However you do it, if you use a browser to organize your personal stuff, you'll likely want to learn at least a few other HTML attributes, such as <P> or <BR> to break up lines of text, or learn lots of them, and make you pages very pretty.

Oh, yeah, and stick a link back to hypography in your personal main page, like

"<A href=http://scienceforums.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=active>What's new at hypography</A>"

so you remember to visit us often! :)