Science Forums

Unconscious Mind?

pljames

I believe that when we are dead then we have a unconscious mind. I believe we have a conscious mind and a subconscious mind. It would seem we have a subconscious mind because we are bombarded with external stimuli everyday and we must have somewhere to store it. Positive thoughts go to positive memory and negative go to negative. A single thought can bring to consciousness one word or several words. Thoughts to me are linear but can also be tree ordered are listed however our brain responds to the order. It would seem we have two different personalities. One physical one metaphysical. The one metaphysical is the mystery. I have been told the mind is multidimensional. The brain I feel is multidimensional but chemically made up. Thoughts please. pljames

I believe that when we are dead then we have a unconscious mind. I believe we have a conscious mind and a subconscious mind. It would seem we have a subconscious mind because we are bombarded with external stimuli everyday and we must have somewhere to store it. Positive thoughts go to positive memory and negative go to negative. A single thought can bring to consciousness one word or several words. Thoughts to me are linear but can also be tree ordered are listed however our brain responds to the order. It would seem we have two different personalities. One physical one metaphysical. The one metaphysical is the mystery. I have been told the mind is multidimensional. The brain I feel is multidimensional but chemically made up. Thoughts please. pljames

I don't have a problem thinking death is the final end of me. I don't feel any need to make life and death any more complicated than it's part of the natural order of things, and I'm fine with that. I'm reasonably sure our conscious mind is more like the tip of an iceberg in being only a small part of the over all brain activity. But the brain is a very complex organ and I know very little about it, so speculating about it might be fun, but I just can't take it to seriously.

I don't have a problem thinking death is the final end of me. I don't feel any need to make life and death any more complicated than it's part of the natural order of things, and I'm fine with that. I'm reasonably sure our conscious mind is more like the tip of an iceberg in being only a small part of the over all brain activity. But the brain is a very complex organ and I know very little about it, so speculating about it might be fun, but I just can't take it to seriously.

There is a subconscious, we notice its activity mostly when we dream. Whether it is self conscious is doubtful... it seems to me to lack moral sense. Its more like a computer than a mind. Its the part of ourselves that actually creates our thoughts in cooperation with our consciousness. WE sort of reach for thoughts and the subconsiousness constructs them for our judgement.Its lazy, and tries to present us with already known thoughts unless we insist on original thinking. New thoughts dont come easily to most of us.We prefere to reproduce and communicate known (outmoded?) thoughts whenever possible.Our subconscious makes us social animals.

arKane,

I have been told the brain is multidimensional I believe it because the mind is invisible. I am happy with that. Neuroscience has a long way to go. I am now believing we are more than the sum of our parts that's the mystery. pljames

arKane,

I have been told the brain is multidimensional I believe it because the mind is invisible. I am happy with that. Neuroscience has a long way to go. I am now believing we are more than the sum of our parts that's the mystery. pljames

The brain is a type of multidimensional experience - it goes beyond the physical experience and sets for itself a many-dimensional format. What happens, is how brain is able to cast two dimensional image into the three dimensional phenomenon known as perception. No one today knows how the brain does this, but it can and it does. How it does this, is a real mystery in neuroscience. Somehow our brain casts this two dimensional world, cast from the images collected by our eye, into a holographic world of what we might perceive the world as. And coupled to this, is our sense of time, coming from the Circadian Rhythm that I spoke about in another thread... maybe what we come to objectively print on the world outside... in other words, time is not an objective phenomenon, but one our bodies think is a part of the objective world.

The brain is very complex and as far as my own studies in consciousness requires, that there be internal degrees of freedom we may call dimensions in a very subliminal sense but not part of the physical world as we think it may be part of. This is like a physical vs. non-physical aspect of conscious experience and perception. What we experience is not part of what is out there exactly, we never actually see the outside, what we see is electrochemical stimuli of interpretations of the brain. This interpretation feels very real but is not physical in any sense of the word.

I believe that when we are dead then we have a unconscious mind.

How could this possibly be?!

When we, or any other animal, are dead, the metabolism of our cells, including brain cells, stops. We cease to be capable of having any of brain activity, and thus any thoughts, unconscious or conscious, and thus a mind of any kind.

I can’t see any way explanation that asserts that a mind can exist in the absence of a physical medium to produce it – in the case of animals like humans, a brain – that isn’t a kind of spiritualism, the belief that minds exist as disembodied “spirits” or “souls” that inhabit or possess physical mediums. Though a common belief among religionists and spiritualists, I know of no credible scientific support for this belief.

It would seem we have two different personalities. One physical one metaphysical. The one metaphysical is the mystery.

Pljames, do you know of any scientific evidence for the existence of a “metaphysical personality”?

In the absence of such evidence – which I don’t think exists – such seemings aren’t scientific, but mystical.

I have been told the mind is multidimensional. The brain I feel is multidimensional but chemically made up.

The mind of a person who has learned a modicum of mathematics is capable of describing systems with any number of dimensions. All humans appear to mentally represent information in ways that can be described as points in systems with large numbers of dimensions. So it’s reasonable, I think, to say “the mind is multidimensional”. More strongly, we can say the mind has can conceive of an arbitrary number of dimensions, and that various models of it may be well represented in varying numbers of dimensions.

The brain is a physical object, albeit a complicated one. As such, it has at least 3 spatial dimensions. Some physics theories propose that there are many more spatial dimensions than the usual 3, so the brain and all physical objects may have more than 3 spatial dimensions. In any case, all physical objects can be considered multidimensional, though not to have an arbitrarily large number of dimensions.

Pljames, do you know of any scientific evidence for the existence of a “metaphysical personality”?

The scientific community is only interested in on there method of discovery metaphysics isn't one of them. pljames

How could this possibly be?!

When we, or any other animal, are dead, the metabolism of our cells, including brain cells, stops. We cease to be capable of having any of brain activity, and thus any thoughts, unconscious or conscious, and thus a mind of any kind.

I can’t see any way explanation that asserts that a mind can exist in the absence of a physical medium to produce it – in the case of animals like humans, a brain – that isn’t a kind of spiritualism, the belief that minds exist as disembodied “spirits” or “souls” that inhabit or possess physical mediums. Though a common belief among religionists and spiritualists, I know of no credible scientific support for this belief.

In the absence of such evidence – which I don’t think exists – such seemings aren’t scientific, but mystical.

The mind of a person who has learned a modicum of mathematics is capable of describing systems with any number of dimensions. All humans appear to mentally represent information in ways that can be described as points in systems with large numbers of dimensions. So it’s reasonable, I think, to say “the mind is multidimensional”. More strongly, we can say the mind has can conceive of an arbitrary number of dimensions, and that various models of it may be well represented in varying numbers of dimensions.

The brain is a physical object, albeit a complicated one. As such, it has at least 3 spatial dimensions. Some physics theories propose that there are many more spatial dimensions than the usual 3, so the brain and all physical objects may have more than 3 spatial dimensions. In any case, all physical objects can be considered multidimensional, though not to have an arbitrarily large number of dimensions.