Science Forums

Are We Running Out Space Projects?

Deepwater6

I think the article's quote of Cambridge U student Edward Cunningham explains this nicely:

"Why do we do all this? Because we can."

There's not shortage of serious science and engineering experiments to fly in space, but IMHO there's less tangible but real merit to "just because we can" spaceflight. I think it's a human atavism, an act of sheer once ancient, now spacefaring ape chest-thumping. We are what we are, spacefaring apes. :thumbs_up

If one of these cellphone-bearing little satellite ever blasts a serious, or even manned spacecraft into rubble, though, the irony will be intense. :( Other than one test of an aerobraking deorbiting system, I don't think many or any of the CubeSats flown to date have much maneuvering or deorbiting capability. :thumbs_do

That said, I'd rather a serious science or engineering mission be flown than a "because we can" one. If someone offered me a CubeSat slot, and the time and resources I needed to fill it, I'd go ambitious and try to fly a long-lived, ground-controlled EDT propelled ship, 'cause I think the future importance of EDT propulsion is under appreciated.