Science Forums

Elucidating Mathematics(!****!????)

gubba

G'day Folks,

Fascinated by Fish's thread - Is Math Evidence? - but being a mathematical ignoramous I can't presume to comment! Still, the thread more than touches on some misgivings I'm starting to have in my readings in physics. I'll try to put it this way: from the point of view of the english translations of recent theories in physics I've read, I'm unable to evaluate the arguments for the various theories because of my mathematical inadequacies, however the debate in english is far from lucid, unlike the discussions in the biological sciences.

In order to understand why a brief span of accelerated expansion is necessary in the early moments of the universe in the "big bang theory" rather than simply adjusting our ideas on singularities I need to be able to assess the maths. So, any ideas on good primers on the theory of maths and physics? Is it possible to explain the mathematical logic involved in physics in english? cheers gub.

gubba,

I think if I am following you, you are refering to the Inflation Theory of the Big Bang. I have two

books (lines of thought really).

1. Joao Miguelo, Faster than the Speed of Light

2. Alan Guth's book on Inflation Theory (forget the name) look for all books by author.

Joao's book is about an alternate theory (which I like) while Alan's books is basically the conventional

wisdom thought up about 1980. Hope this helps.

maddog

g'day maddog,

Like the sound of Guth so I'll chase it up thanks! Must apologise for my opaque post,I meant to emphasise that my comments about the big bang theory are but one example among many of the problems I'm facing when exploring physics due to my lack of maths. Another huge area of frustration for me is, of course, quantum mechanics. I almost certainly need to gain insight into maths full stop. Hope I've made myself clearer and, once again, thanks for your suggestions. cheers gub.

I meant to emphasise that my comments about the big bang theory are but one example among many of the problems I'm facing when exploring physics due to my lack of maths. Another huge area of frustration for me is, of course, quantum mechanics. I almost certainly need to gain insight into maths full stop.

If I have heard correctly, even Einstein had some trouble with higher math, particularly tensor calculus which he needed for his work. He overcame the obstacles though.

A great online reference is MathWorld. If you are good at self teaching there is a lot of good math courses available at MIT OpenCourseware from algebra to advanced analysis.