Science Forums

A Little Help With Posting Please !

Djames

Hi,

I am new to the Hypography forum. (Interestingly close to Hagiography, which I found means biography of life of a saint !) My problem is that I am putting forward a new theory in the Alterative Theroies forum, naturally my posts tend to be long. I find that it is easiest to compose in word and then just copy and paste. This does not seem to be working : mywordsseemtoruntogetherlikethis. It is then a daunting (very time consuming ) task to separate all these words out again. If it itsn't done it looks sloppy. I have tried using the html feature but the [p][/p] feature does not seem to work. How do I solve this problem ? Please help.

My problem is that I am putting forward a new theory in the Alterative Theroies forum, naturally my posts tend to be long.

That's actually an excellent technique for ensuring that no one pays attention to what you're writing.

Even those of us who like dense treatises on obscure scientific topics have short attention spans. The most successful threads here pick up a small slice of a topic, and dive into just that aspect of a theory, not take on the whole thing.

In addition, Hypography really isn't a good place to "publish your theory": we're about discussion. If you've got a theory, that's great, but start a thread on a specific aspect of it, referring interested readers to external links (what the "Hypo" in "Hypography" really refers to is "hyperlinks") if there is a full exposition necessary.

But anyway, to your actual question:

I find that it is easiest to compose in word and then just copy and paste. This does not seem to be working : mywordsseemtoruntogetherlikethis. .... I have tried using the html feature but the [p][/p] feature does not seem to work. How do I solve this problem ?

Word does weird things with spaces and carriage returns (beyond the scope of this thread, but an excellent topic for the Computer Science Forum!), so yes, is not a good option. I believe that WordPad in Windows will stick to more compatible ASCII text if you save as a ".txt" file, and so may work better.

The tags in square brackets are BBCode which looks a little like HTML tags but is not. Unfortunately virtually every forum software package uses it's own quirky version of the tags and they get overriden by individual sites, so YMMV. [p][/p] is actually not a valid tag in BBCode.

Eschew obfuscation, :phones:

Buffy