Science Forums

Avalanche drive

Guest Aemilius

Hey belovelife....

belovelife "http://www.besslerwh...rilo/index.html

do you think you could build on of these to see if it works?"

I'm pretty sure I could build it, but I'm thinking that it probably wouldn't be productive. I've seen variations of this arrangement before. I think if it really worked we would have heard about it....

Edited by Aemilius

is that image a gif, if so could you upload it so i can use it?

In nearly all browsers, you can right-click on an image to display its properties, or save (download) it to local storage (a file folder). You can then use it however you like - though you should strive to give attribution to the people show created them, as it’s courteous to give credit for the things you copy, and in so doing, you often find more interesting work by them.

Case in point of the latter: the image in Aemilius’s post appears to be of “Simanek's Silly Slinky Device”, from Donald Simanek’s The Museum of Unworkable Devices Annex. This is excellent website (best I think to start at its main page) contains a huge library of rigorous explanations, using calculations, of why devices like these do not do what some folk claim they will. Such explanations, if one expends the effort needed to understand them, are in my experience more satisfying than building actual models that demonstrate that they don’t behave as some claim, as with model building, you’re never sure if some unplanned feature of the model hasn’t “ruined” it for showing some claimed behavior.

Simanek has an Analysis of Murilo Luciano's articulated overbalanced chain, AKA “the Avalanch Drive”, that belovelife links to in post #1.

Alleged perpetual motion/free energy machine like this can take a lot of work to explain in detail, though doing so can be intellectually stimulating and satisfying. One’s like Simanek’s Slinky and the Avalanche Drive can be explained in a summary way by noting that a weight-driven machine that doesn’t change its net gravitational potential energy cannot do any work – what Simanek and some other call Stevin's principle.

Hey belovelife....

belovelife "http://www.besslerwh...rilo/index.html

do you think you could build on of these to see if it works?"

I'm pretty sure I could build it, but I'm thinking that it probably wouldn't be productive. I've seen variations of this arrangement before. I think if it really worked we would have heard about it....

have you ever built one yourself?