Science Forums

Levitating magnets

mike89

and although no one has done this doest mean it cant be done i think it can be done given correct amounts of materials and proportions and correct angles as well i just need some way to get magnets in the shape i want them to be in....small beebee like magnets may work but ulimately id need one solid magnet in the right shape

how could you mold a magnet into a different shape.... if at all possible?

What kind of shape would you like? Shape is one thing but the field(s) is/are something else. Do you understand exactly what a magnet is and how it works?

the shape i would need is a cylinder shape and i was wondering are there magnets that are omnidirectional? and if not then is there anyone material that blocks magnetic waves more than others?

I think this is a good place to start. You will understand your questions better when you understand magnets from the inside out.

the shape i would need is a cylinder shape and i was wondering are there magnets that are omnidirectional? and if not then is there anyone material that blocks magnetic waves more than others?

Do a Google for magnets for sale, you will find all types and sizes, and yes they have magnets that only pull on each other(well mostly). Do a search, pretty interesting. They will even make you one if you want..

This is a very interesting question, "mateial for blocking magnetism". I would like to know the answer to that one myself. Off hand I would have to quess that no such material exists. Don't know for sure however, does anyone have any evidence for the existence of such a material??

This is a very interesting question, "mateial for blocking magnetism". I would like to know the answer to that one myself. Off hand I would have to quess that no such material exists. Don't know for sure however, does anyone have any evidence for the existence of such a material??

Check out this link........

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy99/phy99x89.htm

it will help..

Sounds like you need a diamagnetic material to have the magnetic forces automatically correct themselves, it gets rid of the messy need to balance the feilds too much.

If the rod (I assume you want this for an axl, go cart?) were made of an alloy containing a high bismuth content then you could make your self a solenoid for the chamber(requires electrical current). If you're looking for something that won't require electrical power, an array of properly arranged earth magnets would likely do the trick, but that's a tricky balancing act & expensive in the short-term.

If it's for another application please explain what it is(PM if you're paranoid), or perhapse a diagram or two will help. We don't mind think-tanking too much around here, but it helps if we have an end goal.