Science Forums

Is Television Viewing Bad For You?

davekm

I wonder if staring at a TV, with constant camera changes (cuts) could be bad. I understand it activates the orienting response.

Could the constant flickering and cuts cause physiological changes, like fight or flight, stress and scattered thoughts?

Edited by davekm

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if staring at a TV, with constant camera changes (cuts) could be bad. I understand it activates the orienting response.

Could the constant flickering and cuts cause physiological changes, like fight or flight, stress and scattered thoughts?

I wouldn't know as I don't have a frame of reference in which to arrive at a conclusion. I watched TV growing up and I watch a lot of TV now in my old age and many times I fall asleep with the TV on, so maybe we should add dream changes to your OP also. Also for the life of me, if I had a choice I would never voluntarily give up watching TV. So may I inquire as to your interest in this subject?

I have often wondered if the constant left to right (or vice-versa) scanning involved in reading something relatively rapidly.....

In the manner a good reader would read a Good Novel.....

Not in the halting way one might read a Complex Mathematical Tome or Chess Analysis.....

Might not result in a Hypnotic effect?

I know that sometimes after a several hour reading marathon, lost in the pages of an engaging book;

That when I finally finish, I feel like I'm just coming out of an Altered State of Consciousness.

It also seems Addictive.....

Saxon Violence

Guest MacPhee

I have often wondered if the constant left to right (or vice-versa) scanning involved in reading something relatively rapidly.....

In the manner a good reader would read a Good Novel.....

Not in the halting way one might read a Complex Mathematical Tome or Chess Analysis.....

Might not result in a Hypnotic effect?

I know that sometimes after a several hour reading marathon, lost in the pages of an engaging book;

That when I finally finish, I feel like I'm just coming out of an Altered State of Consciousness.

It also seems Addictive.....

Saxon Violence

Yes, good thinking. When we read a book, our eyes scan each line of print from one side to the other. Repeatedly, line after line. Constantly sweeping the direction of our gaze back and forth, in a linear, rhythmic way.

Such rhythmic eye-motion might well produce a hypnotic effect. Like when the classical hypnotist swings his watch back and forth, repeatedly, rhythmically, and so induces a trance in a person whose eyes continually follow the watch.

And in the case of a book, continual following of text is more likely to happen if the book is "engaging". Ie, it moves smoothly onwards, continually engaging our attention. As a Good Novel does. Whereas a complex mathematical tome will cause frequent breaks in our attention - when we realise we've not quite understood the argument, and have to break off, to go back and re-read the last paragraph. This results in "break of flow", which spoils the hypnotic effect.

I think you have a good idea in your post.

It is easy to observe that we respond to visual stimulus from any and all sources, is it not?

Depending on the content of this information, as well as how we perceive it in relation to ourselves, we will experience physiological change.

For myself, one immediate response to unsteady images on the screen is nausea. This occurs within 15-20 seconds. I cannot even remain in the room with my eyes averted from the screen because the reflected and refracted light from the walls and ceiling still elicits the nausea response, even though I am not actively observing an image.

Depending on the images portrayed, some persons may experience emotional distress, even depression, and it has been suggested that we should not watch news or television for an interval before retiring as it can be disrupting of our needed rest.

Guest MacPhee

It is easy to observe that we respond to visual stimulus from any and all sources, is it not?

Depending on the content of this information, as well as how we perceive it in relation to ourselves, we will experience physiological change.

For myself, one immediate response to unsteady images on the screen is nausea. This occurs within 15-20 seconds. I cannot even remain in the room with my eyes averted from the screen because the reflected and refracted light from the walls and ceiling still elicits the nausea response, even though I am not actively observing an image.

Depending on the images portrayed, some persons may experience emotional distress, even depression, and it has been suggested that we should not watch news or television for an interval before retiring as it can be disrupting of our needed rest.

Any attempt to watch television causes me to experience emotional distress, depression, and nausea.

This is a reaction, not to the television itself, but to the programs on it.

Any attempt to watch television causes me to experience emotional distress, depression, and nausea.

This is a reaction, not to the television itself, but to the programs on it.

My experience with TV, is there seems to be some programming for everybody or you can rent DVD's or subscribe to a streaming service. Also, I've never seen a big HD flatscreen TV flicker. So if the NEWS is distressing just turn it off.

• 4 weeks later...

I doubt it, in nornal vision we switch viewing object frequently.

Obviously watching to many soap and films will turn you into a mindless vegetable, but that is the

objective so you can soak up the endless propaganda on TV more easily.