Science Forums

A Pseudo Perpetual motion device to tear apart...

In the actual model, the weights are on opposite sides of the wheel. There are veritcal boards attached to them that pass through to slits that are mounted on a larger slit to move forward and backward. So the two smaller wheels can move up, down, and side to side, but not turn. The larger wheel is mounted on a frame, and small rollers make it almost frictionless. I have almost completed the model, but we're moving soon, so I have to wait until we get to our new house before I can finish it. But if you hold the wheel portion I have completed in your hand, with the two protruding boards flat between your fingers, it immediatly begins to turn either in your direction or away from you, depending on which direction you point the wheights. As soon as I make a picture of the machine I will place a link to it.

OK, I took a picture of the plan I drew. I couldn't find the box my unfinished model is in, and it's somewhere nere the bottom anyway, so I can't take a picture of the actual machine yet. Here are the pictures.

http://www.cjb.cc/members/digitonblaze/Image001.jpg

http://www.cjb.cc/members/digitonblaze/Image004.jpg

http://www.cjb.cc/members/digitonblaze/Image005.jpg

http://www.cjb.cc/members/digitonblaze/Image006.jpg

The quality isn't very good, but that's because I had to use a webcam, it just takes way too long to make such a complicated 3-d model.

All that isn't very clear but it doesn't matter much. ;) Even if you put a little green mannie that turns a handle to keep the two wheels with the weights on the right, those weights might as well be in the centre of each wheel.

OK, the weights get jammed immediatly. They don't try to turn the wheel their mounted on, they just try to turn themselves and so they jam up against the sliding piece that keeps them strait. And for some reason they also seem to have found a position of equilebrium... but I think I found a way to fix the problem, and the whole points of keping the weights strait is letting them kind of start swinging down but catching them and turning that rotation over to the larger wheel...

Suppose for a moment that the two wheels are fixed to the larger, with the weights toward the right. In this case you would have the off-balance that would make the large wheel turn, but as it does the weights will also be going down and to the left until they are under the centre of each little wheel. No use, obviously. If instead each wheel is fully free to turn on it's axis, it can only give the larger wheel a force straight through it's own axis. This force will depend on a few things but it can't be off the wheel's axis and there can't be a torque.

How do you keep the two wheels' positions so that the weights are always to the right? You have to apply forces to them, so there will not only be the weights. Any forces that do so will balance out the effect of the rightward position of those weights.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally decided to take your advice Quantum Quack. I made a force table and found out it doesn't work after all. I just waisted a lot of time on that. But it was not in vain. I tried making a force table for one of my other designs... And it worked! The wheel had a constant 66% of the weight on the left side. But I wanted to make it more powerful. It's not perfect yet, but my current design keeps 97% of the weight on the right side of the wheel, and turns quickly and easily. I'll try to get it as high as I can, though I doubt I'll be able to get up to more than 97%. I don't think it would be wise to post the design at this point, after I've built the model I'll consider it... Thanks for the advice! I'd still be stuck on that non-working design if it weren't for you.