Science Forums

Musing On Memory

SaxonViolence

I read some time ago, that considerable evidence accrues, that once events make it into long-term memory they are rarely, if ever, forgotten.

Others object that there is evidence that every time a memory is recalled, it is edited somehow.

I might suggest that both theses could be true--but that the editing is like unto the author who re-writes a Novel eight times, but keeps a copy of each draft. Or maybe only the original and the latest revision is saved--and all revision is done on the last revision.

Why would Researchers think that?

Well amongst other things--some of those rare "Patient Conscious" Brain Surgeries--often stimulate segments of the Brain with tiny electrodes {Primarily to know just what they're getting ready to chop...}

Sometimes a long forgotten memory will surface--and occasionally the details are checkable.

Some folks with cryptomnesia also show a capability of having absorbed and retained huge amounts of Data on very short exposure.

What is Forgotten--or more precisely, what often gets misplaced--is the "Call-Up Codes" for old memories.

When I was twelve or thirteen years old, I wanted a book at the library, that wasn't kept out on the open shelves. They gave me a "Stack Pass" to go fetch my book, and wander about in the Closed Stacks if I choose.

There was perhaps four times as many books back there, in high, very close metal bookshelves--as opposed to the rich Hard Wood Bookshelves outside...

I don't suppose the books were censored for "Adult Content", or I wouldn't have been so freely vetted. Those books were unlikely to be bought in the first place, and disposed of when discovered, rather than archived.

Well, having the top of my skull sawn open, and having electrodes applied to my brain, seems a bit drastic...

There just doesn't seem to be a good way to get a "Stack Pass" to Rifle through old memories.

At the age of 55, and having grown up in a time capsule, within a time capsule--many of the scenes and personages from my childhood seem as picturesque as the inhabitants of the "Lil' Abner"; "Snuffy Smith"; "Gasoline Alley"; "Moon Mullins" or "Dick Tracy" comic strips. I wish that I'd payed more attention, made notes and sketches--and when possible, saved newspaper clippings and photos.....

But I didn't. Truthfully, much of those situations and people seemed rather common-place and boring at the time.

But I think there is a method in this apparent sloppiness and imperfection though.

I'm disabled, and largely shut-in. I sit and look out the window for hours on end, musing and doing my best to recall and vicariously relive the past. I believe that I've always had a Superior Memory--and I have practiced "Mental Pearl-Diving" far more than most of you.....

But my memories are still very fragmentary and incomplete.

If I can while away so much nominally "useful" time reminiscing in my Halting, Stumbling, Random way--how much time would I be tempted to invest, if I truly had a "Stack Pass"?

Well, if anyone has any comments, thoughts--or even "Stack Pass Methodologies", be sure and let me know.

Saxon Violence