Science Forums

Part Cloning Research Clinics And Proigrams For Dogs?

7DSUSYstrings

I almost put this in the questions area, but felt it was more appropriate here.

A friend of mine has a 2 year old Bull Mastif and the dog has minor hip dysplasia, but her knees are shot. The owner can afford the surgeries, but I told her I'd check with some of you folks to see if anyone knows of any research clinics here in America where they are cloning parts for animals. She doesn't want to put the dog down and I really don't blame her. I know how heart wrenching that can be.

Any ideas?

I did some search on the situation in this and found that the TPLO and MRIT procedures are not as gruelly as she described to me (costly? Yes.) and I'm gaining a little more understanding about pups than I had prior. Still I think this is interesting simply from the aspect of cloning parts for our animal friends. I found a place in Texas that clones horses, though no mention of cloning parts. I know Advanced Cell Technology (ACT) manipulates genetics and does some cloning/engineering that may have already found its way into our food, so I thought about asking them. Maybe some of you bio-folks can bring me up to speed on what's out there to date.