Science Forums

Pangea To Continets

belovelife

Thank you for the clarification. It was essential. If you are talking about Yellowstone (as you were) and you mention floods, one presumes you are talking about the Columbia Plateau flood basalts.

The influx of water into the oceans from melting ice caps raised water levels and therefore changed the pressure regime, especially in deep ocean at plate boundaries. This should have made it marginally more difficult for eruption of Mid-Ocean ridge volcanics and encouraged either delayed eruption. Note the use of the word marginal. I would doubt that any difference would be detectable. The impact on subduction zones one suspects would be smaller. I can't immediately see what that effect would be, but accept that if you change a variable in a situatin the output shoudl alter.

Inasmuch as the inlfux of fresh water and the flooding of land areas would change ocean currents and many depositional environments, then the materials which would later be subducted would necessarily be different in character to what would have been present without the global melting. But the variations would be withint the normal variation seen in such matters and so would not alter the process itself.

Excutive Summary: No discernible effect.

Excutive Summary: No discernible effect.

I agree. As usual, Eclogite, your summary is right on and well written. :thumbs_up

http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Lava_formations_in_western_US_linked_to_rip_in_giant_slab_of_Earth_999.html

... this along with flood theory, what best represents modern view on tectonic movement of planetary plates

I noticed that, due to the way TerraDaily arranged its articles, there’s some ambiguity here as to what kind of flood is being talked about.

In Lava formations in western US linked to rip in giant slab of Earth, the flood was one of molten rock. Molten rock – known as lava when its exposed to air, magma otherwise – is important to geological theories like plate tectonics, because, essentially, Earth's entire, many-plate crust, “floats” on a “sea” of it.

This article is followed by a headline, paragraph, and “read more” link to one about a “megaflood” believed to have carved the Grand Coulee canyon. That flood was one of water.

well, if 10,500 bc there was a major flood (melting of the ice caps) , how much additional water would have been added to the worlds oceans?

since our continents are floating on molten rock, this added weight would not affect the amount of distance the land is puched under the molten rock?

I think you'll find that the wikipedia article on post-glacial rebound covers the subject pretty well. Since the water weight is moving from concentrated areas of glaciers to well dispersed areas of oceans, the uplift due to the loss of glacial coverage is significant, but the added pressure of water weight over oceanic plates is negligible.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Every time I read about this flood and the previous state of ice, I am reminded about the statement that says what could have produced the moisture that would have had to fall as rain then snow and be cold enough to stay to form the glaciers?

which flood is that exactly? mind that belovelife kabobbled together entirely disjoint subjects; his "question" is not even wrong.

the water cycle is as the water cycle does.

water cycle

ok, well based on the tectonic plates moving, *** the northern arctic plate and the southern plate rose from the melting of ice caps, the the reverse leverage action, caused the tention to be released like a spring

which i might add, seems to be going on today at the ring of fire

with the ice caps melting

mabe this is causing the earthquakes to become more major

ok, well based on the tectonic plates moving, *** the northern arctic plate and the southern plate rose from the melting of ice caps, the the reverse leverage action, caused the tention to be released like a spring

which i might add, seems to be going on today at the ring of fire

with the ice caps melting

mabe this is causing the earthquakes to become more major

give it a rest lovey. your speculations are nothing but word-salad and have no relation to actual geology.

no relation?

it was just said that as the ice caps melt, the boouyency of the plates rise to float on the inner magama

so does it not follow, that this leverage action would release or add pressure on the surrounding tectonic plates?

Edited by belovelife

no relation?

it was just said that as the ice caps melt, the boouyency of the plates rise to float on the inner magama

so does it not follow, that this leverage action would release or add pressure on the surrounding tectonic plates?

:doh: your reading comprehension is as abysmal as your speculations. you might also work on your spelling. the north pole is in/on/at the Arctic Ocean. the ice is on/in that ocean and its melting does not add anything to ocean levels nor to the weight on the plate(s) beneath.

as you either ignore or cannot comprehend the factual information the others and i provide i see no point in giving more. your insipid posts are a waste of bandwidth and time.

:doh: your reading comprehension is as abysmal as your speculations. you might also work on your spelling. the north pole is in/on/at the Arctic Ocean. the ice is on/in that ocean and its melting does not add anything to ocean levels nor to the weight on the plate(s) beneath.

as you either ignore or cannot comprehend the factual information the others and i provide i see no point in giving more. your insipid posts are a waste of bandwidth and time.

you keep saying that, i donot think i means what you think it means

:doh:

your reading comprehension is as abysmal as your speculations. you might also work on your spelling. the north pole is in/on/at the Arctic Ocean. the ice is on/in that ocean and its melting does not add anything to ocean levels nor to the weight on the plate(s) beneath.

you keep saying that, i donot think i means what you think it means

not only do i not have any idea what "that" refers to, but a third grader uses better grammar than you have in your one-liner. 33 years old? really!? dumbfounding. :kuku:

Edited by Turtle

alright turtle, enough with the derogotory comments, if you cannot at least understand what i said

and show a decent argument against, then please refrain from cutting down my statements :beaker:

i will spell it out for you

since the added weight of the ice that is frozen on top of tectonic plates, causes them to sublimate

then as the ice melts, they rise back up

with the ways the plates interact with eachother,

as the ice melts, this leverage action must have an effect on the other plates

therefore releasing built up pressure, and causing earthquakes

or increasing pressure on one plate and releasing pressure on a plate next to it