Science Forums

What Should The U.s. Do About Syria?

Deepwater6

On the BBC website today it was said 5000 of the 10,000 palestinian refugees are on the move. They are trying to get away from the naval shelling Syria's Assad has unleashed on them. Government forces in other towns and cities in Syria are under attack as well. This is history happening before our eyes, but what should or could the U.S. do?

In my opinion the last thing our government needs is to drag our military into another conflict. With Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya (to a point) and somtimes North Korea our military is spread too thin as it is. Add to that all the humanitarian aid missions our military is involved with in Haiti, Japan, etc. and we seem overwhelmed. Being the only world superpower isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Many newspapers in the region have expressed outrage that other Arab countries aren't doing more to pressure Syria to stop killing it's own. Turkey's foreign minister stated "If these operations do not stop there will be nothing left to say about the steps that will be taken" I agree wholeheartedly when does the Arab world expect to get it's own in order? DO SOMETHING FOR YOURSELVES! Why is there so much fighting around Arab countries? This is my complaint about many Arab countries around the world who criticize the U.S. for sticking their nose into Arab affairs, and when we do step in we are accused of trying to change their culture or steal their resources.

I did not agree with the invasion of Iraq. As far as I'm concened the Bush team used Americas ire at 9/11 to do it. I did however agree with the Afghanistan invasion. This is where all our efforts should have been placed from the start. Be all that as it may, I think the way forward has to be one of increasing U.S. withdrawal from these conflicts. I understand the fear of some that the terror groups will just reform to attack us again. That may be true, but we can't stay there forever and I for one am pretty pleased with our drone program. These groups have already moved out of that theater of operation anyway. In such places as Yemen and most recently the starving of thousands in Africa that can't get aid because the terror groups there have blocked it or hi-jacked it.

This withdrawal must be coupled with more diplomatic pressure on other countries to do more in the way of humanitarian aid around the world. Where is China, Russia, and Brazil in these conflicts? They never seem to be racing to help any natural disaster victims in any country, but their own. It's time the U.S. pulls back and lets the world see how difficult the world can be without our intervention. Obviously there are massive amounts of politics involved with these moves and they are not likely to occur, but sooner or later we are going to be at a precipice in this country and something has to give. I for one feel sorry my children and their children in the future.

One thing is for sure with all these Arab uprisings and government overthrows. The world will be a different place in the future. I do applaude the common Egyptian, Syrian, and hopefully Iranian for there courage to risk there lives to make there part of the world better. I only hope the surrounding governments are just as courageous. Anyway that's my two cents and I'd gladly like to hear your opinions either pro or con of what I have said. thx