Science Forums

Earth child's theory of where the Earth got its water from

teen1988

SO MANY PEOPLE HAVE COME UP WITH THEIR OWN THEORIES ABOUT WHERE THEY THINK THE EARTH GOT ITS WATER FROM. I HAVE MY OWN THEORY BUT BEFORE I GO INTO DETAIL ABOUT WHAT IT IS, I FIRST WANT TO TELL YOU ALL THAT I WAS THE FIRST PERSON ON THE EARTH WHO THOUGHT ABOUT THIS THEORY AND I HAVE KNOW THIS FOR AT LEAST 2 YEARS AND I WOULD BE VERY SURPRISED AND ALSO IMPRESSED IF ANYONE CAN COME UP WITH A BETTER THEORY THAN MINE. I WILL NOW TELL YOU MY THEORY AND IT IS VERY LONG AND DETAILED. WHEN THE EARTH WAS FIRST FORMED IT WAS REALLY HOT AND THE ONLY THING THAT WAS ON THE SURFACE OF IT WAS LAVA FROM ACTIVE VOLCANOES, AT THE SAME TIME THE MOON WAS SO MUCH CLOSER TO THE EARTH THAN IT IS AT THIS POINT IN TIME AND BECAUSE OF THIS THE MOON WAS CAUSING THE EARTH TO ROTATE FASTER THAN IT DOES NOW AND IT ONLY HAD A 5 HOUR DAY COMPARED TO 24 HOURS. GRADUALLY OVER BILLIONS OF YEARS THE MOON STARTED TO MOVE FURTHER AWAY FROM THE EARTH AND IT WAS AT THIS POINT THAT THE EARTH GOT ITS FIRST AND MAIN SUPPLY OF WATER FROM. AS THE MOON WAS LOSING ITS WATER ITS WAS ALSO LOSING ALOT OF ITS WEIGHT AS WE ALL KNOW THAT WATER IS VERY HEAVY AND BECAUSE OF THIS IT FORCED THE MOON TO BECOME FURTHER AND FURTHER AWAY FROM THE EARTH UNTIL IT HAD LOST ENOUGH WATER SO THAT THE EARTH WOULD BE CAPABLE OF SOMEDAY SUPPORTING THOUSANDS OF DIFFERENT SPECIES OF LIFE. WHEN THE MOON BECAME FURTHER AWAY IT MADE THE EARTH STOP ROTATING AS FAST AND EVENTUALLY IT HAD GOT TO THE POINT THAT THE EARTH NOW HAS A 24 HOUR DAY. THIS SEEMS TO ME THE ONLY AND ALSO THE BEST THEORY TO EXPLAIN HOW THE EARTH BECAME COVERED WITH OVER 70% OF WATER AND I HOPE THAT PEOPLE WHO READ THIS LIKE THIS THEORY AND POST COMMENTS ABOUT THEIR OWN THEORIES. THANKS FOR READING THIS POST XXXX

Um no, but please continue to shout, it might make fewer people disagree with you because they won't read it... Even if the Moon and the Earth formed close to each other as you propose why would the Moon have water and the Earth not have water? The accepted answer runs a bit closer to this, A Mars sized planet in a similar orbit to the Earth collided with the Earth and the two merged and as they merged the the energy of the collision threw up molten material into orbit around the combined bodies and that material condensed into the Moon. It is probable that both the Earth and the body it collided with had water, water is quite common in the solar system, nay! the entire universe, water is the 2nd most common compound in the universe, some say that if not for that collision (the idea is that the collision made the Earth so hot much of the water it contained was lost to space) the Earth could have been a mini Neptune with huge oceans over a layer of ice and no land what so ever but that is really mere speculation.

• 3 weeks later...

Um no, but please continue to shout, it might make fewer people disagree with you because they won't read it... Even if the Moon and the Earth formed close to each other as you propose why would the Moon have water and the Earth not have water? The accepted answer runs a bit closer to this, A Mars sized planet in a similar orbit to the Earth collided with the Earth and the two merged and as they merged the the energy of the collision threw up molten material into orbit around the combined bodies and that material condensed into the Moon. It is probable that both the Earth and the body it collided with had water, water is quite common in the solar system, nay! the entire universe, water is the 2nd most common compound in the universe, some say that if not for that collision (the idea is that the collision made the Earth so hot much of the water it contained was lost to space) the Earth could have been a mini Neptune with huge oceans over a layer of ice and no land what so ever but that is really mere speculation.

YOU ARE COMPLETELY WRONG AND I CHALLENGE YOU TO THINK OF A BETTER THEORY THAN MINE AND SEE IF YOU CAN IMPRESS ME, AND YOU ONLY HAVE 1 WEEK. XX

First you really should explain why the moon would have had water when it was formed and the Earth didn't, computer studies say that the model of the Moons formation i told you is quite likely. But I will point out that first of all water is not heavier than rock or iron and you also fail to show how this transfer occurred, your theory is not even close to being anything but mere speculation and not a very good speculation at that.

SO MANY PEOPLE HAVE COME UP WITH THEIR OWN THEORIES ABOUT WHERE THEY THINK THE EARTH GOT ITS WATER FROM. I HAVE MY OWN THEORY BUT BEFORE I GO INTO DETAIL ABOUT WHAT IT IS, I FIRST WANT TO TELL YOU ALL THAT I WAS THE FIRST PERSON ON THE EARTH WHO THOUGHT ABOUT THIS THEORY AND I HAVE KNOW THIS FOR AT LEAST 2 YEARS AND I WOULD BE VERY SURPRISED AND ALSO IMPRESSED IF ANYONE CAN COME UP WITH A BETTER THEORY THAN MINE.

It's not a theory, at the very best it's a hypothesis, i would call it speculation and that is being very kind.

I WILL NOW TELL YOU MY THEORY AND IT IS VERY LONG AND DETAILED. WHEN THE EARTH WAS FIRST FORMED IT WAS REALLY HOT AND THE ONLY THING THAT WAS ON THE SURFACE OF IT WAS LAVA FROM ACTIVE VOLCANOES,

Why would that keep there from being water in the form of steam on the earth? The meteorites and asteroids the earth was made from often have a rather high water content to start with. The Earths gravity is quite capable of holding a considerable steam atmosphere.

AT THE SAME TIME THE MOON WAS SO MUCH CLOSER TO THE EARTH THAN IT IS AT THIS POINT IN TIME AND BECAUSE OF THIS THE MOON WAS CAUSING THE EARTH TO ROTATE FASTER THAN IT DOES NOW AND IT ONLY HAD A 5 HOUR DAY COMPARED TO 24 HOURS.

No, actually the moon could only slow the earth not speed it up.

GRADUALLY OVER BILLIONS OF YEARS THE MOON STARTED TO MOVE FURTHER AWAY FROM THE EARTH AND IT WAS AT THIS POINT THAT THE EARTH GOT ITS FIRST AND MAIN SUPPLY OF WATER FROM. AS THE MOON WAS LOSING ITS WATER ITS WAS ALSO LOSING ALOT OF ITS WEIGHT AS WE ALL KNOW THAT WATER IS VERY HEAVY

Um, heavier than what? The moon show no signs of ever having water, we've been there, remember?

AND BECAUSE OF THIS IT FORCED THE MOON TO BECOME FURTHER AND FURTHER AWAY FROM THE EARTH UNTIL IT HAD LOST ENOUGH WATER

Why would loosing water cause the moon to move far away?

SO THAT THE EARTH WOULD BE CAPABLE OF SOMEDAY SUPPORTING THOUSANDS OF DIFFERENT SPECIES OF LIFE. WHEN THE MOON BECAME FURTHER AWAY IT MADE THE EARTH STOP ROTATING AS FAST AND EVENTUALLY IT HAD GOT TO THE POINT THAT THE EARTH NOW HAS A 24 HOUR DAY. THIS SEEMS TO ME THE ONLY AND ALSO THE BEST THEORY TO EXPLAIN HOW THE EARTH BECAME COVERED WITH OVER 70% OF WATER AND I HOPE THAT PEOPLE WHO READ THIS LIKE THIS THEORY AND POST COMMENTS ABOUT THEIR OWN THEORIES. THANKS FOR READING THIS POST XXXX

So the Earth formed with it's own water from the accretion of the debris from the solar nebula is not possible? How do you explain the moon has no water at all? (well very little compared to other celestial bodies.)

My Model explains both the water on the earth and lack of it on the moon as well as the moon's rocks being very similar to the rock of the earth's crust as well as the lack of a significant iron core on the moon, your pet idea explains nothing and raises many questions it cannot answer.

YOU ARE COMPLETELY WRONG AND I CHALLENGE YOU TO THINK OF A BETTER THEORY THAN MINE AND SEE IF YOU CAN IMPRESS ME, AND YOU ONLY HAVE 1 WEEK. XX

Bad answer. You claim he is completely wrong then prove it....NOW! I'd also advise you read the rules here pronto. There you'll find that we also expect you to back up your own theory with more than your personal declaration that it is the right one or better than anyone else's.