Science Forums

Magical Thinking Versus Science

paigetheoracle

Magical thinking is where all we are aware of is effects. It is the state of the child, newly in the world or the primitive as opposed to civilized mind. The scientific mind (or before that the philosophical mind)is the enquiring mind. It is the search for answers after the awe of 'the magic trick' has worn off ('I'd like to learn how to do that!') or the person/ society has recovered from trauma ('What happened?') and also the practical answers to the question of survival (How can I improve my skills i.e. move from amateur to professional, crude to refined endeavours/ products).

The child in us all is what enjoys being entertained as the adult wants to be informed: The former state is one of relaxed indifference or dreaming (dispersed mind/ emotionality)as the latter is one of concentration upon a particular point in space or time (consciousness/ intellect).

These are what is commonly called the left and right hand paths in Eastern philosophy (or passive and active sides).

Everything we do or don't do, drives us further into the conscious world or relaxes us out of it (causes stress/ tension from concentration i.e. holding on or releases that tension from withdrawing from contact and expanding our conscious awareness again i.e. slipping into the bigger picture (analysis versus reaction or persistance in maintaining a position in space/time as opposed to floating free into generality).

From this point of view, there is no right or wrong, just choosing to experience or not experience something (Shall I stay or shall I go?/ Will I continue to control my reactions or go with them?).