Science Forums

My Introduction

Catalyst

Hello!

I used wonder whether any one actually used forums anymore. Sure, you can comment on a journalists blog, and that's fine. And there is (was?) myspace, but other that I couldn't find any forums, especially about science. Then I typed "Science Forums" into Google, and here I am. Makes me wonder what took me so long to do that.

Hi! My name is Daniel, but I like to go by Catalyst.

I have always been interested in science, but admittedly mostly 'cuz it blew stuff up. I also always liked math, it felt good to finally figure out a difficult math problem or understand a new aspect of mathematics. When I was in high school I had an awesome history teacher who made me realize that A) History really happened to real people and that it's really affecting us today; and B )That we are creating tomorrows history. I love music, I play bass, guitar, a bit of drums, and I claim that I play the piano but mostly what I do is tinkle one of the few tunes I actually know and point out middle C 7 times out of 10. I've recently started to find an interest in linguistics and writing. I like to read well crafted fiction (in addition to the reading I do in support of my other hobbies) and I like expository writing. Whether that latter bit is well crafted is a matter for debate, but I try and make it as readable as possible.

Nowadays my respect for science has grown with my understanding of it. I think exploring space is one of the most vital things Humanity can do. (I capitalized Humanity for pretty much the same reason other people capitalize God) I think our political machine is messed up, but I think we can fix it.

I look forward to the conversations that happen here, and I hope I can contribute in some measure!

-Catalyst