Science Forums

An Universe Made From Our Minds.

zendagimigzara

This is a question I thought might intrigue my hypography fellows...

Is the universe as we see it now only in our minds?

Understand the implication, please; as it implies subjectivity at its finest, and as a believer of the theory of relativity, I support it. But it seems to mean that whatever observations we make of the world and by extent the universe are worthless since they are a construct of the mind.

My answer to this question stems from perception. Sight, Touch, Smell, Hear and Taste guides us around this universe of ours, not denying the reality of itself. Our brains, indeed, process the information received from those senses in ONE processing unit; so we are able to smell and touch and see and taste and hear all at once.

I mean, we all agree that there exists a coin somewhere in the world, right? :D

• 2 weeks later...

If you see the elephant, is there an elephant in your mind ? Seems a bit too large to fit there. What you see with the rods and cones of your eyes is the image of the universe as given by the energy of photons of light (assuming you are in nature) that travel to your eyes at great speed. So, only a small part of the universe (indirect energy from the photons that cause electrical-chemical actions within the optic nerves, those atoms that compose your mind cells, cosmic rays such as neutinos) are within your mind. The vast majority of the universe is outside your mind, and the collective minds of all humans.

• 2 months later...

The universe is not in our minds. But the universe as we see it is indeed a construct of our minds. However, this construct is a reflection of the observable universe.

In other words, I believe the universe exists whether we are here to observe it or not.

Of course, our minds are part of the universe, so I guess at least part of the universe is in our head, strictly speaking. :D

The universe is not in our minds. But the universe as we see it is indeed a construct of our minds. However, this construct is a reflection of the observable universe.
Mach considered physics a topic of psychology.