Science Forums

Modernized Experiment

questions

Urey-Miller Experiment

The URL below has a diagram that displays the Urey-Miller experiment. This experiment's purpose was to simulate pre-biotic soup and the generation of early life. The experiment used water (H20), methane (CH4), ammonia (NH3), and hydrogen (H2). Looking at the diagram will explain this a lot better. Miller and Urey believed the experiment was successful. I have my doubts. Just producing 11 out of 20 amino acids is not close to a cell. Wikipedia will have much more information if you would like to know more about the original experiment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller%E2%80%93Urey_experiment

Modernizing the Experiment

I am wishing to perform a modernized Urey-Miller experiment for a local science fair. I need to perform research on what fossils and rocks can tell us about earth's early atmosphere. Some evidence points towards a much different atmosphere but I believe if I could get some input then this will turn out to be a much more thorough experiment. I would prefer direct evidence such as diagnosis of air bubbles in amber rather than speculation. Also I would like to see if any changes of the setup to the experiment could be made to reflect a more accurate representation. I would also love advice on how to put this together, sterilizing the equipment, tips, and how to analyze the chemicals. Any input would be great!

Hope this interests many people, I will publish my results when I am done.

To suggest a cell should have turned up for the experiment is a bit disingenuous don't you think?

Miller and Urey believed the experiment was successful. I have my doubts. Just producing 11 out of 20 amino acids is not close to a cell. Wikipedia will have much more information if you would like to know more about the original experiment.

I'd like to see the experiment redone but with boron compounds this time. Liquid ammonia instead of water, boron hydrides instead of carbon compounds. it would be interesting to see if any complex boron molecules turned up...

http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/B/boron-based_life.html