Science Forums

Visual snow - big bang reception?

Could visual snow's static vision and tinnitus be the same as the white noise and blank screen effect you used to be able to get on TV, when there was no broadcast and that somebody said was reminiscent of the radiation blast from the big bang. Could it be that certain individuals suffering from this condition are actually picking this up like a blank receiver? (see link below, if not familiar with the condition).:(

YouTube - ‪Snowy Vision (Visual Snow)‬‎ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4KbBmZD2Qs&feature=related

Could visual snow's static vision and tinnitus be the same as the white noise and blank screen effect you used to be able to get on TV, when there was no broadcast and that somebody said was reminiscent of the radiation blast from the big bang.

Since EM radiation in the CMBR peak range is easily reflected by the kind of metal found in most hospitals and commercial buildings, I doubt visual snow or tinnitus (ringing ears) is caused by it, because if it were, I expect someone would have noticed that it stopped whenever someone suffering from it entered a building, and from what I just read via the articles I linked, this isn’t the case. :(

An interesting medical tid-bit: Tinnitus (ringing ears) is that can be divided into 2 main kinds, one where the ringing is an real sound (ie: if you put your ear to the ear of someone suffering from it, if you have sharp hearing – or use an otoscope, microphone, or similar gadget, you can actually hear the same tone), and one where there is no real sound, but rather a false sensation of one. I can still recall my amazement the first time I confirmed this by listening to a friend’s ringing ear, and actually hearing the ringing.

While I’m pretty sure we can’t directly sense the low-energy photons of the CMBR, in the 1960s, the first astronauts to leave earth orbit discovered that they were perceiving very high energy cosmic ray charged particles, in the form of several kinds of flashes, and wearing blindfolds, systematically counting and describing them. Mysteriously, of the 24 astronauts who’ve been beyond low Earth orbit, exactly 1 of them couldn’t perceive cosmic ray flashes. (source: this Apollo report)