Science Forums

How to thread an 8mm Howard & Bell 253 AX Projector

Hey, a while ago I got a bell & howard 253 AX 8mm projector and Radiant meteor screen for $20 total at a garage sale. So after figuring out that I could get a good $50 out of this projector on Ebay I set out to find 8mm film to play around with until i got bored and wanted to sell it. I found a great find on ebay, a 8mm Abbott & Costello Have Badge Will Travel, with a tiny bit of heat damage for like 6 buck including shipping and handling.

So anyways It finally arrived and I tried to thread it the way I think its supposed to go and I noticed a few things. first off is the reel that the film came on is plastic and the hole is to large so it doesnt fit onto the projector. The second thing is that while the film seems to be the correct width the little spike things refuse to go into the holes, like the holes are a hair width too small.

So I looked around on the net and couldnt find anything about the projector that would help me, so I came her hoping that somebody could dredge up a memory and pictures about how the thing is supposed to be handled and threaded so I can watch this treasure of a film (abbot & Costello are two of my favorite old time comedians).

Also, Im sorry about putting this in the history thread but I didnt think it fit anywhere else.

it may be that your projector is for Super 8 film. typically there is a threading diagram somewhere on the case; is that the case for you? cut...print it. :shrug: Super 8 mm film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ps projector bulbs can run from a few dollars to over $60. :D Projector Bulbs & Lamps :D

pps it may be that the take-up reel spindle and the film-reel spindle are different sizes. :) did you get an empty take-up reel with the projector? the way it works is that after viewing, the film is rewound onto the reel it came on and the take-up reel stays with the projector. this doesn't address the teeth not matching problem, but i thought i'd mention it. adieu. :hihi: